IOR Glass Comparison

Sounds like a developing consensus is that the IOR's track very well and have great glass. There was a definite breakage problem with their FFP 3-18 scopes. Their SFP 3-18 scopes seem to have a decent track record.

IOR is now on their 3rd generation of 3-18 FFP scopes and so far there aren't any failures to report that I know about. Scott with Liberty Optics (a site sponsor) would be the source to tap for the most current information on the 3rd generation 3-18X.

I happen to own two IOR 3-18 SFPs, so I'm glad to hear that tracking shouldn't be a problem.

I can add that I recently ran an elevation turret test on one of my 3-18 Xs. I cranked the elevation 70 clicks in up and 70 clicks down. I obtained the same total travel in both directions. The scope returned to zero. My elevation turret averaged 0.249" per click, based on the total of 140 clicks of measured travel during my test. So I was pretty happy with those results.

I can also add that as far as resolution goes, I just don't see how it could get much better than what I can see through my two 3-18 IORs. I can believe that there are scopes that transmit more light, but the clarity with which I see through my IORs is pretty impressive. And I have some Swarovski binoculars and optics, as well as a Zeiss spotter to compare them to.

Last edited:
I have an IOR I was planning on getting rid of eventually a 6-24X50 for a NF benchrest for my competing rifle. Can somebody tell me which scopes are having the issues I sure don't want to sell a scope that will break on the other guy. This one is the one with the 9moa elevation knob. Thanks for the help

Brent

The only scope I've heard of with a reliability problem is the IOR 3-18x FFP scopes. All of their secondary focal plane (SFP) scopes seem to have a decent track record. Your 6-24 should be good to go.

the glass on the ior was a VERY close second place to the s&b, but the FFP scope did break. afterwards i traded the ior.....i'll probably own one of those again too.
Mirrors my results very closely, including the break and trading it part, though I replaced mine with a Premier. Like you I'll probably end up getting another one eventually (especially if it seems the durability problems are behind them). It's just too nice a scope for the money to not have one.

"I have an IOR I was planning on getting rid of eventually a 6-24X50 for a NF benchrest for my competing rifle. Can somebody tell me which scopes are having the issues I sure don't want to sell a scope that will break on the other guy. This one is the one with the 9moa elevation knob. Thanks for the help"

Just curios ...Do you think the NFbr is going to gain you anything? Not knocking the NFbr just asking.
I dont shoot competitivly,only prairie dogs in bad mirage conditions but there aint no way I would trade one of my 6-24IORs back for a NFbr!! Had 2 NF br's(8-32 and 12-42) and now have three 6-24 IORs.
From what I have heard only the First focal plained 3-18s and a few 4-14 had any issues. Have also heard that the higher powered scope will not take recoil reliably????? Remember this is what I've heard!
What I've sean personaly is a second focal plain 3-18 work flawlessly on a couple of different guns with no issues at all. I also Had one of the 6-24s on my 50 BMG for a few rounds and only took it off cause it didnt have enough travel to get me to 2200 yards. The 16x IOR did however have enough travel and held up for many rounds on top of the 50. I also had one of the 6-24s on the 375/50BMG for most of the time I shot it. again no issues with the scope!!
The clearances are a little tight in the IORs so it is very important to mount them properly!!!

Last edited:
thanks, I like the scope I think it is an excellent scope. I am just following a little advise from a friend who has a few world records in benchrest shooting. I want all my rifles to have the same feel. I have more NF's than Ior's so I guess the Ior has to go.

Brent

Mach V, I just read your post. I was only going to follow some advise from a friend. I have changed my mind. I will keep the scope for awhile. If Richard Schatz would have followed the advise of people he wouldn't have started the craze with the 6dasher and won so many world records.

Brent

I can certainly understand going with what you have. I had the 16x IOR with the MP-8 reticle and the two BRs with 2 different reticles in them. Was considering sending the 2 NFs back and haveing the R2 put in them when a trade developed for the first 6-24 IOR. It was a 35mm prototype that just blew the glass away in the 12-42 NF I had left. Had I sent the 2 NFbr back it may have very well went the other way as I like the R2 and R1 as well!!
Now all my long range rigs have IORs on them, I like the fact that its basicly the same view and the same reticle in all of them!!
Never been much of a competitor when it comes to shooting so I really dont get the 6br craze (or its derivatives). I've got a 6 br, it shoots alright but man do you have to KNOW the yardages to usalize it compaired to the 243 and 6-284 I use. If a prairie dog is sitting on a mound 750 yards out it a simple matter of counting up 1 big hash,1 medium hash and 1 little hash and that dogs going for a ride with the 6-284 but if I'm useing the 6br I had better read the wind perfectly and know it is exactly 750 yards or its a miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.