optics advice

ofl0926

hello everyone. new guy hear.
i am having a custom rifle built, chambered in 6.5 PRC. weight of the rifle when completed, no optics, will be between 7.25-7.5lbs. this rifle will be taken with me to my first elk hunt in Oregon. my guide advised me that i should be comfortable taken a 500 yard shot.
so now to the topic of optic choices. i have looked at a variety of different options. i am leaning towards a swaro x5 but of course i need the wife approval. this is at the top of the budget if the wife says yes. but if she says so no, i need to find other options.
i dont want a heavy scope. i do want something SFP. i have considered nightforce but they are extremely heavy. i am also looking at zeiss z4 4-16x44 plex.
what else can you guys suggest? i am open to options. thank you and look forward to your responses.

leupold VX-5 or VX-6HD. they're great for your weight requirements and have excellent glass. Price won't beat you up either. They have the ZL-2 elevation turret which makes snap adjustments a breeze, or you can have a custom turret made for your perfect load and be set. the VX-5HD in 3-15 would be plenty for the 500yd shot on an elk, or the 3-18 VX-6HD gives you that extra bit of edge in mag power.

leupold VX-5 or VX-6HD. they're great for your weight requirements and have excellent glass. Price won't beat you up either. They have the ZL-2 elevation turret which makes snap adjustments a breeze, or you can have a custom turret made for your perfect load and be set. the VX-5HD in 3-15 would be plenty for the 500yd shot on an elk, or the 3-18 VX-6HD gives you that extra bit of edge in mag power.

How's the durability of leupold? I've had some failures that keep me away from them. How does the vx-5hd compare to swaro glass?

Look at the March 2.5-25x52 or 3-24x52 in the $2400 range. The NXS will save a few dollars and can be found relatively cheaply used( may have one for sale soon), the Zeiss V4 would be my $1K choice.

The vx-5 are supposed to be right on for a good hunting optic. I have the 3-18 vx-6 and have had zero problems with it so far. have adjusted for range out to 600+ numerous times and have no problems with return to zero or accurate adjustments.

If you place leupold on your list do some serious searching before the purchase. There are still numerous reports of failure to track. They may be fine but I do have to question why when there are so many other options known to work?

Look at the March 2.5-25x52 or 3-24x52 in the $2400 range. The NXS will save a few dollars and can be found relatively cheaply used( may have one for sale soon), the Zeiss V4 would be my $1K choice.

I'm liking the Zeiss z4. Not many reviews on it. Weight is perfect too. I'll look at that March as well.

I'm liking the Zeiss z4. Not many reviews on it. Weight is perfect too. I'll look at that March as well.
I have both. Both track perfectly. The March is much nicer but the V4 is a very good scope for the price. I also have the X5 which is my favorite scope when weight is not a consideration.

I have all the scopes I mentioned. I would rate them in the order of price. If you have a certain feature you are after let us know.

I see that Zeiss has added a 4-16x50 with an illuminated MOA reticle for 2019 in the V4. This configuration makes good sense to me and would be at the top of my list.

I have all the scopes I mentioned. I would rate them in the order of price. If you have a certain feature you are after let us know.

not really after certain features. no crazy reticles. good turrets w/ zero return. clear glass at dusk/dawn. i am trying to find different options for when the General (Wife) says i can spend this amount. my current shooting range is maxed at 500 yards. also my guide said, max shot of 500 yards

No matter what u choose negotiate price on the optic... can save a few hundred off list at scopelist.com.... what is your budget ? Love my Khales...

No matter what u choose negotiate price on the optic... can save a few hundred off list at scopelist.com.... what is your budget ? Love my Khales...

budget is open right now but i mentioned that i will have to get the final say so from the wife. we are having a baby in March. so she might say $2500 or she might say $1000. that is why i am looking at multiple options

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.