optics advice

All my binoculars and spotting scopes are Swarovski and I wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to glassing for hours at a time looking for game. With that said I have Leupold VX-6 scopes on all my best hunting rifles and recently put a VX-5 on a heavy recoiling rifle and am very impressed with. I love the zero lock on these and even though the glass is not Swarovski glass, it is great glass and I feel that I am not giving up anything when it comes to hunting in low light. I would have no problem spending more on riflescopes if I felt it was necessary but the Leupolds have not let me down once and they come with a lifetime warranty if needed. For about $800 the VX-5 HD 3-15 will more than do what you are asking for. For another $600 more you can buy the VX-6 HD 3-18 which has a few more bells and whistles including windage zero lock. I used to believe in the rule that you need to spend twice as much on your scope as your rifle but now have no problem throwing a $800 scope on a $3000 rifle and feeling good about it. This is only my personal opinion and taste when it comes to hunting and how gear has evolved for me personally. When it comes to hunting all my money is strapped to my chest or better yet mounted on a tripod!

SWFA SS fixed 10x or 16x will take you out 1000yds with high quality tracking. $300.00 for the scope + $100.00 for rings, base, level and caps. Put the rest into your child's future.

If she says 2500 get the X5. Expensive but every time I look thru it eases the pocketbook pain.

If she says 1000 get the SHV Moar or VX-5.

They will all more than get the job done.

I'm a nightforce fan, but bought a zeiss v4 . I have to say the glass is better than my nightforce and it's lighter. It tracks great and true. When I was buying the scope, I looked at it along with the Leo vx6 ,vortex and the new Bushnell black. After looking through them it was easy to choose the Zeiss. With that said , I would not take over my NF , if weight and money are not a issue. I guess I just have a lot of trust in my nightforce.

The X5 is more than $2500 and the V4 is a much better scope than the SHV. The one thing most Leupold users never talk about when they say how great there scopes are is how often they dial or if they have ever done tracking tests. When I say the scopes I own track I am not saying I hit a few targets long range and they returned to zero I am telling you I tested them. I used to test with the tall target test or box test but have switched to a test rig that removes the rifle from the equation. I also completely understand my opinion is not going to align with those of everyone else but you need to take into consideration that most who give opinions have only used one or two scopes. It is great if that scope works for them but I can not understand how many people say one is better than another they have not tried.

I'm a nightforce fan, but bought a zeiss v4 . I have to say the glass is better than my nightforce and it's lighter. It tracks great and true. When I was buying the scope, I looked at it along with the Leo vx6 ,vortex and the new Bushnell black. After looking through them it was easy to choose the Zeiss. With that said , I would not take over my NF , if weight and money are not a issue. I guess I just have a lot of trust in my nightforce.

This is one of the posts I am talking about. Sorry. You really need to say which Nightforce you are talking about. I assume you are talking about an NXS or ATCR. I do not believe anyone would think a Zeiss V4 would be an overall better scope than those two.

Sorry it's the NXS,I was talking about. The ATCR is a step up from the NXS and they were talking about the NXS. Plus the price is a step up and I thought he was saving money.

not really after certain features. no crazy reticles. good turrets w/ zero return. clear glass at dusk/dawn. i am trying to find different options for when the General (Wife) says i can spend this amount. my current shooting range is maxed at 500 yards. also my guide said, max shot of 500 yards

I will add one more thing. I would place qualities of a rifle scope in this order, 1) tracking, 2) durability, 3) glass. If a scope will not track and is not durable you will not hit things long range. No scope that reliably tracks and is durable is going to cause misses due to glass quality. If you want better glass then that is fine just no it is not going to make you a better shot.

budget is open right now but i mentioned that i will have to get the final say so from the wife. we are having a baby in March. so she might say $2500 or she might say $1000. that is why i am looking at multiple options
I would have a serious look at the Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18X 50.

I am new to this site. And this off your original question.I have no scope recommendation due to not having hunted long range. However I have hunted Elk for 24 years and in my opinion a "6.5mm whatever" is too light of a cartridge to reliably bring down an Elk at 300 plus yards. Your shot placement might not even matter. If you wound an Elk in Oregon country and it goes into thick heavy timber your chances of recovery or a follow up shot are very slim. I would opt for a heavier caliber at 500 yards.

I was in the same place last year after having a custom 260 rem built. I bought both a 3-10 shv and a v4. They have both tracked and returned to zero perfectly so far. The shv has a little bit of tunneling and not a big fan of the moar reticle so it went on a 223. The v4 has better glass to my eyes and the zmoa2 reticle is perfect for hunting. I owned a vx-6 and it wouldn't track or return to zero even after going back to leupold. I went down the road before I purchased the v4 but I believe the glass to be very close.
Good luck and shoot straight

Any of the Leupold tactical scopes are a good choice and there are several on the market that meet your criteria.
I've never had an issue with Leupold tracking or holding a zero but I've always been one to spend as much on an optic as the gun cost. The way I look at it, if you put a $50 scope on a $2000 rifle then you have a $50 setup. Just my opinion.
You do not need crazy high powered optics to shoot out to 500 yards either. Find something that you like that fits your wants and needs for your situation and roll with it.
Good luck on your decision and good hunting.

How comfortable are you shooting at 500 yards accurately? If the answer is, I'm not sure, then you may want to find what your maximum range is before settling on your rifles optical power. Your caliber choice and effective range, as ajkellerusmc states, is an even bigger factor. Another consideration before choosing a higher power optic is when the moment of truth comes breathing and heart rate can move your target POI. Maybe that's not a issue but you can always get closer to your game and max out your optic at 10X.

There are plenty of SFP scopes from quality manufacturers, like the two you mentioned and others that can fit within a $1K budget, but the lightest weight are limited to only a few. Personally I've found Leupold to be one of the lightest and the clarity of even their VX3i CDS, for around $500 is tough to beat.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.