need advice on optics for wyoming hunt

mainehunter

I am going to wyoming on a mulie hunt (if I draw a tag).Never hunted out west.I am told I need a good set of binoculars or a spotting scope.any advice on what to use would be appreciated!Do I also need to consider a range finder?THANKS

What part of the state (i.e. what type terrain)? How much do you want to spend? Horseback or walking?

In my optics arsenal I have:

Zeiss 8x32 Binoc's (super light weight for packing)
Vortex Viper 10x42 Binoc's
Canon 15x50 Image stabilizing Binoc's
Nikon Field Scope IIIED 20-60x60mm spotting scope (fit's in a saddle bag easily)
Kowa Prominar TSN-884 20-60x88mm spotting scope

Since you wont be hunting here all of the time, if I had to pick a single item to buy again it would be the Canon's! I only say that because they are 1/3 the price of the Kowa but I would get rid of all the others before my Kowa.

Soon to be added to my collection is the Theron Wapiti 8x42 APO Binoculars and maybe a Theron Mag82 ED 82mm Spotter

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^What he said (beat me to it!). These things are worth their weight in gold, for carrying they rock, they increase stability while viewing & they hold your bino's in place if/when you need to "pick up the pace" whether you have to run or 'lope your horse, they aren't flinging around like a war mace!

Mainehunter

I have a pair of the nikon monarch ATB 10 x 42. Very nice, not a swarovski but nice. They go for about$319 or so and are lightweight.

They rated the best in a category of binos for under $500. Can't rememberwho did the test. I'm happy with them.

I'd recommend a larger objective over a smaller one, and usually 10x power. Back in 2007 Dad had a very nice compact pair of binocs and I took my 10x42s. When we were looking at objects in the distance it was so much easier to find things using the 42s vs what I think was with a 28 in his compact as the wider field of view makes a difference. Next elk hunt he brought his large ones and was much happier.

Nikon and Leupold both have reasonably good binocs in the $300-350 range. Anything less than that price point and you'll notice a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.