Optical rangefinders?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Nate, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Nate

Nate New Member

I was just looking at the Wild optical rangefinder and started pondering. If these rangefinders (Wild, Barr & Stroud, etc.) are approximately 13 pounds and three feet long and can range to 20,000 meters, wouldn't it be possible to manufacture a similar rangefinder that is lighter and smaller that would range to a maximum that is a little more realistic to our uses, like to about 2000-3000 yards? I would think that an accurate optical rangefinder like this would really be marketable for long-range hunters. Does anybody know if there is anything like this on the market already? Just brainstorming...

2. Dan Conzo

Dan Conzo Well-Known Member

Nate
    I answered your question on xtremeaccuracy, but maybe others can tell you about ones I don't know about.

3. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

Nate...

The problem is that there is a very limited market for these things.

A very nice unit could be made out of carbon fiber, with good lenses, about 24 to 30 inches long, and very good accurate to 2,000 yds/mtrs, but it would have to sell for about $800 to $1,200, and the market is very limited... most people think the little lasers like the Bushnell 1000 are the Kat's ---, and would never spend the money for an optical unit.

CatShooter