a good small optical rangefinder?

Thanks Frank, I thought that's what you meant just wanted to be sure.
wink.gif

Frank,
Isn't the bottom half of the image correct and the upper half inverted" So if you looked at a "T" it would form a "+"? I only looked through Crowmag's once, but I thought that is how it worked out.
I love the accuracy and am considering one too but if a 1/3 scale version came along I would be extremely happy. I like the optical designs over the laser for small varmints due to knowing that you are reading them and not something beyond them.

I had one of the small B&S units in my hand about two years ago.

The fellow wanted $1000.00 for it.

I was just looking at the features of it and think it went to 1500 yards which was not far enough for most of my LR hunting friends.

I wasen't interested at the time because of the Russian Laser that I owned. Many of the Russians were readily available then through a company in California who imported them. Most of my hunting friends across the country already owned the Russians and were sold on them, as I have been over the years.

"Legal or not", there are hundreds if not thousands of these units in this country being used without inccident to date. They come up for sale from time to time in the shooting circles and if used in a safe manner are the best you will ever have available to you. You MUST use them in a responsible manner though.
They will repeat ranges time after time in all weather conditions.
You will see them for sale by other sportsmen. As a matter of fact, I just saw two of them (Russian) for sale recently. The fellow wanted $3250.00 each for them.

I may be able to find a short B&S though.
I'll check with another person I know that has a collection of Rangefinders. I don't think Dan has any at this time?

Later
DC

I aggree with you 100%, but bear in mind, alot of people might have $3000, but thats a huge chunk from most poeple savings... What I mean is $3000 is kinda impracticle for the avg Joe who makes between $20k and $40k a year and has kids.
I don't think $500 isn't too much at all..

lets face it,
The B&S and Wilds are so huge you need to have a team of horses to haul it around with you..
not very usable.

I can't figure out what the people who make Wilds or B&S's are thiniking, how many huntinmg rifles in the world will shoot to 20,000 yards.

Anyway, I'd be silling to pay $400 for a 1 ft B&S or Wild that ranges to "ONLY" 1500 yrds than $350 for a "weather picky", "size of target picky" high end eye safe laser that doesn't deliver in most of my hunting situations...
maybe we should contacts B&S etc and politly let them know they are missing out.

scott

RBrowning, You're right. I was going from memory and had it backwards.The little window goes on top of the target not under it.

Donham

The Barr and Strouds, Wilds, and Zeiss are all military Artilery units and the need for up to 20,000 yards or meters was a needed feature in war time.

The optical rangefinder from Barr and Stroud, Wild and Zeiss are no longer made.
You have to set up and be stationary in one spot to use the 1 meter base optical units unless you take it in to different spots and set up close to your vehical.

The military lasers are the top of the line at present for the sportsman unless you want to spend thousands for one that will consistantly range to yardages over 1500 yards. The Vector one is an example.

It is still no match for the non-eyesafe military units that are also available from time to time at around $3000.00 plus.

Many of us still use the Barr and Stroud optical units that are about 39" long and do a very good job.

If your going to reach out to extreme range, you will need one of the optical military units to be sure of the range if you can't afford a real good laser unit.
The rangefinders are one of the MOST important tools in the LR hunting sport.

About $500.00 will get you a good used Barr and Stroud or Wild.

Later
DC

Weren't they originally MFG'd for millitary purposes?

I think the LR hunter is a fairly small market, but never the less a market indeed more and more.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.