Opinions on rifle/scope combo I just put together

Ian02

I'm up here in NH and this will be my 3rd year hunting Whitetail Deer. I decided to build a rifle and a Muzzle loader so I have something for each season we have.

I found a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in .308 super cheap with no scope or anything, just the rifle. I decided it would be great to make a lightweight rig so I mated it up with a Nikon M223 1-4x20. It's a nice and light combo but looks kind of goofy.

Considering I'm in NH and we don't get shots longer than 100-150 typically should I just stick with it regardless of its looks? I can post a pic tomorrow, it won't let me from my phone.

if you dont like how it is looking you could look at the nikon m-308 it is a little larger scope more suited for a rifle rather then an ar platform

It looks OK but how does it shoot? I personally like a larger scope for better light gathering. Shots at deer are often decided in the first or last light of the day so I like 50mm objective scopes. A 40-44mm scope would be fine also and "look" more normal to you. Either way, good hunting.

I think it looks pretty bad ***.

+1, it reminds me of a scout rifle. I have a Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32 mm on my Remington 700 ADL 30-06. It was a $150 dollar scope and it works perfect up to 300 yards. Exactly what I want and need. If it works, it's accurate, and it suits YOUR needs then keep it.

IMO, the Nikon M223 is pretty ugly all by itself. But I don't select my scopes for their attractiveness. If you want to enter the rifle in a beauty contest then find something prettier. If you want a rifle and scope combination that work well together and puts your shots where you aim (as the setup you describe apparently does) then forget about what the neighbors might say and enjoy your rifle.

Last edited:
It looks kick *** to me too. If your worried about light. Take it out at dusk and check it out. That 1x you will like if your sitting down watching them come to you at 30-50 yards.

I have the Bushnell 1.74-5 power on my close up rifle. Only 75 yard parallax, but it gets the job done. And price was right.

Its nice to see someone else on here from NH:D I think the m-308 would work better especially for dialing shots.

Sweet, another NH guy. Where the heck is Monroe?

I decided to stick the 1-4 on an AR15 I built and bought a new scope for this rifle. Nikon Monarch 3, 4-16×42 with a MilDot reticle. Going out Sunday to see how it shoots. Thanks for the thoughts guys. I realize it's kind of shallow to judge it based on looks but it just didn't do it for me. Much happier now, just hoping it's a decent shooter.

Sweet, another NH guy. Where the heck is Monroe?

I decided to stick the 1-4 on an AR15 I built and bought a new scope for this rifle. Nikon Monarch 3, 4-16×42 with a MilDot reticle. Going out Sunday to see how it shoots. Thanks for the thoughts guys. I realize it's kind of shallow to judge it based on looks but it just didn't do it for me. Much happier now, just hoping it's a decent shooter.

I just bought a vortex pst 4-16X50 for my ruger 6.5 Creedmoor and i really love it! Monroe is just north of littleton right on the Connecticut river. straight across the river from st johnsbury.

I think it's a fine set up you have , nothing wrong with how it looks at all . I bet it will last you a long time . Savage makes a good Rifle , as long as it shoots well thats all that matters . Let us know how it does when you take it to a range or get a deer with it .

I don't like the look or the settup. Get a 3x9x40 on it and hunt. Burris ffII would fit nice.

It makes one think... Is a gun like your woman that she must be beautiful. Or is it like your wife that it has to have a great soul to live with you forever so you do not get divorced and move on to the next expensive model.....Does it shoot and kill or does it take after a high maintence shotgun? Witch would you rather have?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.