Opinions on 6mm-284 wildcat?

cbaker

What is everyone's opinion on the 6mm-284 cartridge. I am thinking about buying a gun that has been chambered for this wildcat. Is it known to be an accurate round, is it difficult to size the brass, is easy to find brass to resize, is it enough gun for Texas deer? Should I buy one or just go with a 243 wssm? Thanks for your opinion.

The 6-284 is plenty of gun for whitetails. Although I'd just as soon use one of the 7mm's or .308's if I was buying a new rifle for that purpose.

My biggest concern for buying a used rifle in any of the "hotrod" chamberings would be what condition the throat is in. The 6-284 will quickly burn out barrels if shot hot. Even if the previous owner was very careful to avoid successive shooting, the 6-284 has a limited lifespan when compared to any more conventional deer cartridge.

Just my thoughts - VH

I just talke dto a buddy of mine that's got both a 6-284, and a 25-284. He says he got a lot more life out of the .25 barrel than his 6. He does have a borescope, and he is very serious about his reloading/cleaning procedures so... whatever this is worth.

I had two of them one was set up for 68 gr match bullets and the other 105/107LVD. It's kind of a case that burns barrels out pretty fast. If it's set up for a long action that's a plus other wise bullet will have to be seated in pretty far if using a med action also check to make sure it will feed. My 6.5/284 is set up on a long action. I like the 284 case but to be honest I think you might do better with another case. I wouldn't buy a used 6/284 unless I knew the guy who owned the rifle and knew the rifle and how many rounds fired. Just my .02

For what it's worth, I have one that was originally tight necked with an 8 twist intended to be a 1k varmint rifle. I never could get decent accuracy. A trusted 'smith told me it was a barrel issue, not the cartridge. At present I am planning on rebarreling. I spoke with the folks at JLK bullets today and the suggestion was, for both barrel life and accuracy potential, a smaller case would probably work better.

COBRAD, I had about the same problem with my 1/8 twist 6/284 barrel then had it chambered for a 6br and did alot better. I've heard some good thing about the 6x tubbs case just go to his web page. I shot a 6hls for awhile and having a 6/22-250 done up with a 1/14 twist just something different. I just wanted to get away from forming brass. Don't hear too much about the 6/284 anymore don't need to burn the extra powder since your limited by velocity with the lvd 6mm bullets. Only problem with the 6mm LVD bullets is the wind. With being able to buy 6.5/284 brass sure makes it nice and think it's alot better than the 6/284. Well good luck!

ROPER I spoke with a fella at Sinclairs' today and mentioned my "problem" 6-284. It was suggested that I may have an action that will not shoot. That would be a drag. I am going to go ahead and rebarrel at some point anyway. Too much into the rifle not to. I'm looking hard at the 6.5-284, and a fast twist 22-250. I want accuracy first, speed second, so think I'll lean toward a more balanced round.

COBRAD, It could be an action problem if it wasn't squared up. If you had the rifle built I'd talk to the gunsmith who did the work and see what he has to say also confirm the twist. I'd also look at the velocity and make sure your not getting them too hot. I'd give Sierra a call and see what there rec velocity is kind of think it's around 3000fps.

Cobrad: Your accuracy problem could be;
1) bad bedding; is the barrel touching the stock and is your point of impact left and right?
2) loose receiver; have you torqued your receiver down to the spec'd torque settings
3) bad scope; some scopes aren't worth a darn and the internals can fatigue causing you to shoot two separate groups or worse. This is just fine if you are the average hunter and are use to shooting 1-1/2 inch groups and never shoot beyond three hundred yards.
4) Has the bolt face been squared lapped and trued? "Blueprinted".
There are internal and external ballistics at play and the attributes should be qualified. By the way, I LOVE the 6mm Remington. Not much kick, sweet to shoot and for a varmint rifle, well, I am very partial to it.

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: W ]

Guys, after reading the topic "hyjacking threads" I must plead guilty here, so this will be my last comment on my 6-284. All of the things mentioned concerning this rifle have been addressed, and to no avail. Thanks for your help though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.