Opinion on semi auto pistol for women

I have little experience with carry guns, except for the Ruger Redhawk .44, but the best advice I've ever heard on the subject- for both men AND women- is to start them out with a .22 (or .22 Mag) until they get VERY proficient with that. THEN move her up to a centerfire and I'd look at a 5.7x28.
Always good advice to "work up" to the target load. Nobody likes to get the crap kicked out of them unexpectedly.

I don't like striker. I don't like Single Action. I don't like external safety.
For conseal, I have an XD-E 3.3 in 9mm, It's a SA/DA, hammer drop, 7 or 9 round mags. Has external safety but if I drop the happer, I don't need it.
For "Not So Conseal", Sig P226, Sig P229 (9mm, 357Sig or 40S&W) and FNP-45
These are "full" size high capacity with SA/DA, Hammer drop,

One big thing about the micro purse / pocket rockets is they suck at doing what you carry them for. 10 feet = probably. 20 feet = good luck. Yes I own one (LCP II .380) and shoot it often just to remind myself how much it sucks at doing the things. I load mine down to target shoot and it's still hard to hang on to and get back on target.

All of that to say, skip the micro, EZ's whatever and get something worth the effort.

This right here! And as others have said and suggested, get her to a range that rents or allows you to try different pistols as possible. Comfisherman made some good points also. Fit and ease of function is everything with a pistol for everyone especially female. Also consider wrist strength when at the range trying them out. Once the wrists get a little weak the form and accuracy will go to xxx and the fun stops. Unless shes used to shooting a pistol, 50 or less rounds is probably enough for the first couple trips. For and from the females in my family recommendations are S&W EZ 9 or 380, Springfield Hellcat, Sig 365.
Small guns are harder to shoot and the slides are harder to operate. These guys have given good advice.

I renewed my CCW last year at a local indoor range. Folks from 25 to 80. I was last to go and when I went in there was a lady say mid 40's shooting. Or I should say, trying to shoot. She was literally missing the entire 2ft x 4ft silhouette target at 5 yards. I don't know her situation, but it was sad to watch. The instructor was being as nice and helpful as possible, but it was useless. She was done. Every time she would aim the pistol and start to squeeze the trigger she would start violently shaking from head to toe. He called it off after one more time trying to calm her down.

I would definitely take her to a range where she could rent a few and try them out. I'd also recommend not going during peak (indoor) range times. The precussion of shooting on just one side of you can be enough to turn a good time into get me out of here now.

Many, many women have trouble with the recoil of the 9mm. Also of major importance is the trigger pull and ease of slide manipulation. We have seen this time and time again in IDPA.

I have shot this pistol, and it is excellent for those that have weak hands, and need low recoil. My next-door neighbor is 75, and she loves hers. I hear her shooting hers out in the pasture.

Grip safety is a NON issue, hard to mess this up.

S & W Shield EZ in 380 ACP.

Everyone recommends a 2" Smith in 38 special. My brother-in-law was a Sgt in the LAPD. He told me that the 2" Smith was an incredibly difficult gun to teach non-shooters (new police officers to shoot accurately). He had upgraded his Model 60 with a very smooth trigger.

Last edited:
Always good advice to "work up" to the target load. Nobody likes to get the crap kicked out of them unexpectedly.
The key to being proficient with a firearm- ANY firearm- is practice.
Man or woman, get them a .22 and a few bricks of ammo. Before long, they are comfortable shooting and in a much better position to judge what feels right in their hands and better prepared for recoil.
Besides, everyone should have at least one .22 handgun. I take at least one to the range to shoot while my rifles are cooling down.

Just a great way to enjoy some trigger time.

When it came time to get my oldest a pistol, I took her to the range where we sampled 1911 Govt and Officers', CZ-75 in 40, Remington R51, CZ-83 in 9Mak, Sig P230 and Walther PPK in 380. She handled all of them equally well, but liked the 1911 Govt the most. She took it home and practiced with that for a year.
When she received her CHL, I got her a S&W Shield in 9mm. She loves it. At a buck-twenty, she's learned to conceal it so it never shows.

Remember when testing pistols with different people's hands, watch how they naturally grab it. If you see a wrinkle form in the web of their hand up against the Back Strap, the person will have a great experience with accuracy with that pistol. If when they grab the pistol, there is an air gap between the web of the hand and the Back Strap, they will not shoot that pistol worth a darn.

Trigger pull is of a major consequence to a woman along with trigger reach. Confidence in wracking the slide takes some getting used, we teach two shots in the mag drills.

So, find the gun fit, ease of wracking the slide, then trigger pull, taking into account if the gun has a Spring/disconnector upgrade kit for it. Many of the women/men become very good shots in a hurry with the above three things taken into account.

If there is a gap between the web of your hand and the Back strap, you do not have much more than a good Noise maker.

Last edited: