Opinion on semi auto pistol for women

hesse

I am trying to help my girlfriends daughter get a pistol for concealed carry she has shot the Kimber micro 9 but would like a little less recoil like the 380. I am wondering if there might be a little better 9 mil on the recoil side because ammo is available and cheaper

Would help to know how strong she is, and stature. Told my sister I would get her any pistol she wanted after a couple of iffy encounters on the road with flat tires. She chose a Sig P365, which is a great carry gun, but like the Micro 9, pretty snappy. If she can hold something heavier, the recoil reduction is likely worth it. Are there gun store/ranges where she can shoot stuff?

I am trying to help my girlfriends daughter get a pistol for concealed carry she has shot the Kimber micro 9 but would like a little less recoil like the 380. I am wondering if there might be a little better 9 mil on the recoil side because ammo is available and cheaper
That's what I ended up (actually her choice) getting my wife her concealed carry.
Kimber .380 micro.jpg

I got my daughter the micro 9. At first it was alot to handle. After a couple practice sessions with an emphasis on form and mechanics she got comfortable with it. A couple hundred rounds after that she became proficient with it and really enjoys shooting it. As stated, any of the small 9s will slap and jump but practice and good form can really help.

Get one that is easy for them to operate the slide. If they can't operate it to reload, or load for that matter its a losing effort. Smith makes a 9mm EZ. Very easy for women to use. Small enough to conceal. If they learn proper hand grip shooting won't be a problem. Its locking the slide and releasing it that is the problem.

If you can take her to a range that rents pistols that's what I'd do. It really depends on how she's going to carry and what fits her hand the best. A S&W Shield Plus weighs five more ounces and is about the same size. That extra weight may make the difference for her. A Glock 48 MOS is larger but still concealable, or a Glock 43X MOS. IMO the extra grip length will aid in controlling the recoil. Ultimately it's up to her.

Do what you can to get as many guns in her hand in a range session as possible. By temperament the average woman is less analytic, hence the reason this and other forums are 99.97% male. We pour over stats, specs and reviews, they usually pic the one that felt best. I've come to the conclusion after getting my wife up and carrying and then during the pandemic almost all the single ladies in her department.... predicting what one women would tolerate or like is near impossible.

Have friend group that between the lot of us can produce most the 380-micro9-mid range hi cap pistols. Think last range session was a little over a dozen models between the lot of us. Only thing I've never seen picked was a snub nose revolver, with the exception of my wife and one other adventuresome gal most shoot for mid sized guns. That's probably the most common trend line, probably helps we have jackets or thicker clothes 8 months a year.

Get one that is easy for them to operate the slide. If they can't operate it to reload, or load for that matter its a losing effort. Smith makes a 9mm EZ. Very easy for women to use. Small enough to conceal. If they learn proper hand grip shooting won't be a problem. Its locking the slide and releasing it that is the problem.
This right here! And as others have said and suggested, get her to a range that rents or allows you to try different pistols as possible. Comfisherman made some good points also. Fit and ease of function is everything with a pistol for everyone especially female. Also consider wrist strength when at the range trying them out. Once the wrists get a little weak the form and accuracy will go to xxx and the fun stops. Unless shes used to shooting a pistol, 50 or less rounds is probably enough for the first couple trips. For and from the females in my family recommendations are S&W EZ 9 or 380, Springfield Hellcat, Sig 365.