Opening up Feed Rails on a Remington model 700

i take that back, you may need to i didnt realize you had a 7mm REM mag. cheapest thing to do would be sell your rifle and buy one in an ultra mag, might loose a couple bucks on the deal but itll be cheaper than modifying your current action. if you do that all you need is a $25 wyatts extended magazine box and a barrel and reamer, I also reccoment spending the $30 on an over sized recoil lug

I would use the action that you currently have, no sense in selling and loosing money just to get wider feed rails. Talk to your local smiths, its an easy mod on a mill. Last year I rebarrled my 243win to 270wsm and my smith charge $25 to open up rails and install a Wyatts extended box.

Last edited:
As I said in my previous post, it cost me $25 to have my rails opened up and extended box installed. I had another bolt for the wsm. The 7rem mag and 7 rum have the same boltface dia, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this?

I was simply asking you a question about your bolt face. I didn't say anything about the 7rem/7rum bolt face. You made it sound like you had $25 in getting your action modified to take the wsm case that's why I asked about bolt face. And even $25 to open the rails and mill back your bolt stop is a bargain. Machinist usually charge $60 ish. Per hour around here and that is more than an hours worth of work in set up and labor.

But aside from this bosstom Guy trying to be more right than anyone else. All you need is to have a Smith open them up which shouldn't cost a ton and I reccomend having him mill your bolt stop And installing an extended magazine box also.. or like I said before just switch out rifles it may be a little cheaper than Smith work. Check into it and see which way is cheaper...

Got to Agree with Mike on this one-----25 bucks???? Man that is too good to be true. It will be best to let the Smith do it because a little goes a long way when adjusting for feeding. My Smith has done at least a couple hundred Wyatt Boxes and still biches about it every time lol.

Mike, I didn't mean to come off as a jerk, I guess I made too much out of your question. I thought my post was clear on the work done and the price I paid.

I have one local gunsmith in my area that I trust working on my rifles. Steve is the only one that has done work for me (other than having a action reblued by another local smith, that I will never use again), so I don't know the rates of any other gunsmiths in my area.

Yu may or may not need to widen the feed rails. I did one 7mm rem mag to a 300 ultra mag that did not need the rails machined to allow it to feed. You may want to get an extended mag box from wyatt if you want to use the VLD bullets feeding from the mag.

Edit:
Thanks the444shooter, I missed that one.

Last edited:
Longbomber--from what I gathered in reading the posts, Mike was referring to Bosstom's gun being opened up from 243 to 270WSM in that post, not the OP's 7mm Mag. I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't know Mike from Adam, but your post is calling him out on something you misread.

I too am curious because I've been thinking about opening up a standard caliber to a magnum--namely a 5R .308 to 300WSM. Anyone else with experience on this subject, please chime in!

Tag for interest.

Long Bomber,

What make was your rifle? I have a post 64 win that didn't need feed rail work when moving from 300 win mag to the 300 RUM. All remingtons I have seen won't allow a RUM past the feed rails unless it made for the RUMs from the factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.