New Range opening up

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this topic so sorry ahead of time for the moderators

BJ has managed to get one of his buddies all eaten up with the long range bug and he has decided to build a new long distance range. He has fixed targets all the way out to 1460yds and he has built some kind of bench that he says will be really sturdy.

He is shooting a rem 7 STW and he is trying the Hornady 162gr A-Max. I figure this should be a pretty nice combo for some long range pdogs and yote's as well as our skinny whitetails.

I think we are going to go shoot our at his place this saturday so we will take some pics and show them of to you all. This will also be the debut of the RSI Shooting lab that BJ just purchased so hopefully we will have some good info for everyone.

Take it easy
Steve

Steve,
Sounds great. I'm here in KS about 45 miles NW of Wichita. Used to live in Newcastle, OK.
Will this range be open for other shooters?
I'm assuming steel targets, right? paper also?
Thanks!

It isn't my 7stw, it is the guy who owns the land the range is on. But yes it does have a break on it. I will have some pics of the gun after this weekend.

No, I don't think this is going to be a public range. He just wanted to set up some long range targets and get into this particular sport.

Take it easy
Steve

Understood. It is easier to keep it private. Maybe keep us posted when you guys are going to get together to shoot from time to time and maybe I can slip down. That is, if you will shoot with a guy that uses those funny specialty handguns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My days off are usually Friday &amp; Saturday. I hope to make it down some time.

Lerch,

I was very impressed with the performance of the 162gr A-Max on lopes, yotes and paper when fired from my 7STW.

I was loading 80gr of Retumbo above a Fed 215M primer. Rem cases were fully preped. This is not a max load but the chronographed velocity of 3,075 was plenty.

Lope &amp; Yote

Finally got to shoot at the range this weekend.

Weather was hot as hell which made the shooting not much fun at all.
Had some problems with the RSI shooting lab, the chrono worked great but we couldn't get the Pressure Trace system set up due to labtop problems.

The Allen Mags were clocing 3250 with fireforming loads and my 25-06 with the 125gr wildcat clocked just under 3100fps so I was very happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We were just about ready to leave when we got a call from some other guys saying they were on there way out to shoot. When BJ told me who was coming out to shoot I quicly realized that one of the guys coming had a class 3 FFL so I was excited to see what toys he brought with him.

The first toy he brought out was a AR-50, this was the first time I had ever gotten to shoot a 50cal so it was a experince. We were shooting incindiary rounds at a 5 foot by 4 foot rock at 515yds. I was amazed to see the massive spark when the bullet impacted the rock and then the deafening thud.

BJ managed 2 shots within about 1.5" of eachother and that was the best group with the gun.

After this we got to shoot a silenced H&amp;K 45 which was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The loudest sound you could hear from the shot was the bullet hitting the plywood sheet at 100yds.

We shot some groups on the rock with our 270 AM's. I picked out a small, roughly 3", light spot on the corner of the large rock and proceded to put a 2.5" 3 shot group on it.

Overall it was a fun day but the heat is just killing all of our shooting time here. BJ didn't bring his camera so I don't have any pics but we will be shooting again soon so pics will come next time.

Take it easy
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts