Only 2 powders to use

All good from my view point. Interesting method. After all that do you find combos that just don't shoot well no matter what?
Sometimes, not often. Some barrels can be difficult. I usually just get rid of them. I do usually start with the one i think will perform best in that cartridge if available. I might add, if it wont shoot i will normally change bullet before powder unless i have an issue with it.

Last edited:
This thread helps explain the shortage of retumbo everywhere.ive been using it for yrs in my 7mag,but cant find any nowdays to save my life
That's like H4350 for the last 3 years around these parts. Was referred to as unicorn dust. Been better lately though. Never even looked for Retumbo as it's either not available here in eastern Canada or not popular. Viahtavori (likely spelled wrong. Sorry Finland) is pretty easy to find and the price is reasonable. Most think it's expensive but they likely don't realize their buying 2.2lbs (1Kg). I find anything ending in 60 ( example N160 ) seem to to better in extremes of temperature. It does well with a Berger hybrid 140 out of my bergara with a 26" barrel. If I was to have just 2 powders N160 and varget would be my two.

You guys beat me to it! I'm now using R23 for 22 and 6 Creed and 65 SS. No doubt it will work for the calibers listed.
What kind of loads and velocities are you seeing with RL23 in the 22 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor? I love RL23 in my .284 and want to try it in other cartridges. Thanks

There are a lot of great powders that will work in those cartridges. A lot of the suitable powders that would work best for you are hard to find right now. If they all were available though, I would use RL23 and RL26. I find those two work really well in many different cartridges. I also would say H4831 and H1000 would be good choices too. There are so many good powders today that it can be hard to pick haha.

I tend to use temp stable and/or temp predictable powders. RL26 is the only powder I use a lot of that isn't an "extreme" powder. Depending on the rifle, load, etc. it seems to change about 0.5-0.7 fps per degree. It's very predictable and usable from 0-80 degrees. I have heard, but not yet tested, that RL26 gets less predictable when temps hit 85+ degrees. It rarely gets hotter than that where I live, so I don't worry about it.

I also tend to pick a powder that gives a high load density and that leads to more consistent velocities and often improved velocities. I see no reason to handicap a cartridge with the wrong powder. Every powder is suitable for certain cartridges. I would rather run a slightly compressed load over one that only fills the case halfway up. Use the right burn rate powders and you'll get the best results.

Last edited:
If you guys was gonna try an narrow down several calibers to only 2 some what extreme powders what would it be for these calibers.
25wssm with 85's
25-06 with 115's
264 win mag 120's
264 win mag 143's
270wsm 130's
7mm wsm 168's

all opinions are appreciated
That's easy. H4350 and Retumbo all the way.
38FE18C8-2CD7-4C90-B29F-63058306C72A.jpeg
38FE18C8-2CD7-4C90-B29F-63058306C72A.jpeg

Attachments

• 97476CBA-E580-4361-82CB-BEC95A6FA23E.jpeg
    97476CBA-E580-4361-82CB-BEC95A6FA23E.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 62
Top target is 7 Mag Remington Sendero 168 grain Berger's Retumbo powder. 100 yard zero. Bottom target is a 260 Rem 140 Grain Berger's H4350 at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.