One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

If you get yourself a 30-06 in light mountain rifle you'll have all the rifle you ever need. If you don't mind recoil you can even get one in a rifle that weighs 6.0 lbs. You can get ammunition in a gas station in Zimbabwe. My son has a Rem 700 mountain SS in laminate stock with a plain jane 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on it and comes in about 7.5 Lbs. PHs in Africa love that rig. No need for 338, 340, 375 etc.--that's silly IMO. Use 165/180 Nosler partition or Accubond or Barnes TTSX and you can kill anything. If you wanna play LR with it, get a scope with 16-18 magnification and dialable turrets, use those bullets with secant or blended ogive for high BC and you'll be G2G for that game as well. If you reload you can get some jacks out of your custom loads. I use 57 grs of old school IMR-4350, Nosler or Lapua brass, with CCI BR-2 primers and I get 2850 out of that rig with a 22" Bbl.
What bullet weight do you shoot? I use 55.0 to 55.5 grains with a 180 gr bullet and get around 2670 to 2720 from a 22 inch barrel, and around 2750 to 2800 from a 24 incher. There's a little variation in velocity depending on bullet make, and about 35 to 40 fps between 55.0 and 55.5gr. charges in my rifles. I use Shepherd scopes, mostly 3 to 10 power, and I've shot these loads accurately out to 800 yards. Also, since part of this discussion is ammunition availability, being able to buy ammo anywhere is, I would think, a must. I know for a fact that 30-06 ammo is available in Germany and in Macedonia. I know its available nearly anywhere in Central and South America where it is legal to own a firearm, and used to be available in countries south of the border that now don't allow ownership. All the Weatherbys and a number of the newer wonder cartridges aren't available or are very limited in their availability, so I'm still saying the rifle cartridge is 30-06, and my rifle would be either a CZ, Ruger M77 Hawkeye, or a Remington all with medium weight barrels, if possible. I would also prefer a 24 inch tube. My scope of choice is the Shepherd DRS, in 3 to 10 power with the P2 reticle, and the P1 reticle in a 300 Win Mag. Since they discontinued the P2, I am waiting on their upgrade, which is going to be a 3.5 to 14 power scope, and will cost around 900 dollars. But for ranging and hitting inside 800 yards, the P1 or P2 is just hard to beat. I can get a first round hit in the vitals easily at 600 and 700 yards with this scope using the 30-06, and the P2 also matches my hand loads here in Colorado(7,000 to 9,000ft altitude) using my .35 Whelen(s). I have a 6 to 18 V1 scope mounted on a Remington 300 win mag and I've posted 1.5 inch 3 shot groups with it using 180 grain Sierra ProHunter and GameKing bullets, along with Nosler Ballistic Tips. But 6 power is too much for close in shots(great for longer, and easy to use this scope at distance for ranging and hits at 18 power). You can find their DRS scopes here: /shepherdscopes.com/products/rifle-scopes/dual-reticle-system/. Check them out. They can match the old -06 for bullet drop to 1,000 yards, and they work. I just bought a 'new' used 3 to 10 P1 on ebay about 5 days ago. I got it for about $320. That's a good buy.

Last edited:
Mine would be my 338/ 8mm rem mag improved. Stainless fluted Smith barrel 1/10 26" shooting 250 partitions at 2950 with 86 gr RL22 rifle with Nikon Black 4-16. Fireform deer loads are 90gr 200 gr BT at 3200. Total weight under 9. Had it built on 700 trued action with a Sako extractor. Had it long time the Nikon is a fresh addition!

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
.577 Tyrannosaur

I almost forgot. Given the perameters of the question, I'd have to add that the rifle would have to have iron sights along with the scope sight. Back up sights would be a must, in case the scope gets damaged. Normally, I would have at least two back up rifles, but the question limits me to one. I might have a peep sight and sight installation on the rifle, with the sight stored in the butt stock, but plain old iron sights would do. It would still be useable until I could replace the scope, and a hunt wouldn't be ruined.

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
300 WBY Mag

Lots of good choices already mentioned, i would choose my mod 70 375 rum in an oregon gunsmith carbon fibre stock with leupold mk 4, 4.5 x 14 scope. Shoots barnes 270 ttsx at 3050 into under .8 in outside to outside. Barrel is a fluted ss, benchmark.

To fulfill the requirements with an off the shelf rifle, I'd be looking for a Ruger Hawkeye stainless or Winchester Extreme Weather in 30-06 or perhaps 300 WSM. Topping either off with an NXS 2.5-10x42 or Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44, makes a sturdy and reliable package that will be effective past 500yd and still be somewhat functional in the thick stuff.

"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship."

-Phil Shoemaker

I am not writing this to offend anyone but am bound to point out that we have a few uninformed souls in this blog and instead of discussing facts we have been responding in pure hyperbole and rhetoric. I have been reading the responses to this query and find that everyone has a special interest in this. Why would a person choose to hunt large bear with a 26 cal. rifle when all the information acquired from ballistic data and personal testimony directly contradict using this caliber. On the other end of the scale a 340 WBY would leave very little for the pot if hunting small game. I would choose a 300 WBY with 180 factory ammo. Quality rifles built today are very accurate with a good scope or iron sights. I see no difference in customizing an already good and accurate rifle and buying a Corvette. There are very few places to show the extra power and handling that may or may not exist over a production product. Above this most cannot shoot or drive better than a standard built product provides so the added time, expense, and planning is no more than one-upmanship and bragging rights that stroke the ego but not better or more useful.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT...MAN CREATED MACHETES' FOR A REASON!!! Hunted ALASKA for BROWN BEARS & BLACK BEARS. When in the back country my 10MM is COCKED & READY on my hip. Nicknamed the SHERPA, pack weight is CAREFULLY and CAUTIOUSLY pieced together. Having been a hunting guide in SNOWMASS COLORADO, working between 10k' & 14k'....my experience has taught me how to operate EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY. People who are SURPRISED or UNPREPARED for the TERRAIN they are going to hunt shouldn't be hunting. Stay home and watch the hunting channel or live vicariously through YOUTUBE.
You just wait a bit, Sonny! The tectonic plates of this old planet aren't done moving yet. Those hills are still getting taller and steeper. We've had some serious changes toward the vertical in our real estate out here, and my understanding is you might experience the same before too long. Stick around and I'll share some breathing exercises that really help.😎🤙

Pretty interesting and varied responses. While I see a few cartridges and bullets that I honestly question as to their ability to "stop" an "up close and personal" all out attack by a big bear. But, to each his own! :eek:

Also, a few took it upon themselves to alter the parameters of the criteria! :confused:

But, overall....most have pretty good reading skills and comprehension! :D

I do appreciate all that responded, as this may require many of us to step out of our "comfort zone" by attempting to meet "all" of the assigned criteria. There likely isn't a single cartridge that perfectly meets all of the criteria.....so, attempting to choose the best compromise was the goal of this exercise! Something to do while many of us are in self-quarantine, or under mandatory lock-down! Thirty-eight years ago, I chose a very good "all around" cartridge. Then thirty-one years ago modified the rifle and cartridge, making it the near perfect "do it all" cartridge, rifle combo......not only for NA but for the World. Thanks again for playing along! :) memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.