One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

I have had extensive experience with both the 338 win mag and the 340 Weatherby, for years I only loaded and shot 250 grain Nosler Partitions and some 210 Partitions, they worked well for Elk, Oryx and Brown bear, in the late 80's I did shoot Mountain Caribou and Moutain goat with factory 200 grain Winchester,very accurate but not a good choice, there are far better bullet serlections with factory ammo now. I have been shooting more Nosler 225 Accubond in recent years, flat shooting and great penetration and stopping power. Having owned my custom Remington 700 Shilen barreled 338 WM for so long I would choose it for my one go to gun for all game if limited to one caliber and gun.

A 9,3x62 would meet most, if not all of your requirements. Mine is a CZ 550 American (now discontinued) with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 long range duplex. Scoped, strapped and fully loaded (it holds 5 with one in chamber), my CZ is under 10 lbs. With a Nosler Accubond 250 gr or 286 gr Partition, I would be comfortable out to 300 yards and probably beyond with the Accubond. I would probably choose the Partition if hunting big bears but either bullet would work for anything in NA. Ruger and several others manufacture this caliber. Right now, my CZ is one of my most accurate rifles and I reload for 10 different calibers.

Not " picking" on you post, I'm merely using yours as an example of how easily we can "drift" away from the "rather narrow" criteria of the OP! This was intended to take many of us "out of our comfort zone"! If a "stopping cartridge" were not part of the criteria.....you would be "spot on"!

Women and youth aren't likely to hunt alone in "big" bear country. And isn't it "perhaps" a bit "misogynistic" to assume that a woman can't handle a larger, more powerful cartridge! :eek: My wife hunts with (her only hunting rifle) a .338 WM (no brake).....and is quite comfortable with it. memtb
When I think stopping power i think "dead". If you can't stop it with a 180 gr partition, please go practice. You can shoot a big brown with a 400 gr solid in the wrong place and not "stop" it. How many hunters in Africa have wounded a dangerous animal with their .577 and the PH had to put it down with his hand me down 8x57? Ok, that may be a few decades earlier than most folks on this site......-06AI for me

Its
Not " picking" on you post, I'm merely using yours as an example of how easily we can "drift" away from the "rather narrow" criteria of the OP! This was intended to take many of us "out of our comfort zone"! If a "stopping cartridge" were not part of the criteria.....you would be "spot on"!

Women and youth aren't likely to hunt alone in "big" bear country. And isn't it "perhaps" a bit "misogynistic" to assume that a woman can't handle a larger, more powerful cartridge! :eek: My wife hunts with (her only hunting rifle) a .338 WM (no brake).....and is quite comfortable with it. memtb
Ha, it's out of my comfort zone. It's impossible for me to imagine hunting around Brownies without a hand-cannon on me chest.
But that aside, my choice would be a 338WM, 24" 3b with a brake, AP Hunter stock (because it's my favorite), Nightforce 2-10. That should come in close to 9lbs. If I were in the bears woods, 250 partitions, if not, 225sst, 230 ELDX... sumpin like dat

I'm going to have to go with a 300 win mag. In a model 70 action with a 24inch barrel,topped with a mark5 (3-18x44) shooting a 200 grain eldx

7mag, no question. As much as I like custom rifles it would still be very similar to a Cooper Timberline or Gunworks Clymr, with a nightforce 2.5-10x42. I want my finished weight to be around 8 lbs. light enough to carry around the back country, enough heft to settle well for accurate shots, enough scope for marmots at 1K yards, enough versatility in the cartridge for everything.

A good fitting AR10 chambered in 308 with a 3-12 scope of your choice . A single point sling set up with bi pod and some extra 5 round mags . You can buy a lot of different factory loaded ammo for all kinds of hunting applications . When they are built right they can be quite accurate and with spare mags on hand you will have the fire power you need if you can do your part and stay calm . As with this COVID-19 epidemic, panic is your enemy with unexpected encounters .

300 PRC.. I am building one myself.. it will weigh about 9lbs when done, I went with a Christensen Arms ELR, a little heavier but gives me the ability shoot out to 1500+ if I want to go to the range and do that. the match ammo from hornady is actually cheaper than 300 win mag Fed GMM. I have a 300 win mag too.. but it is a rem 700 5R stainless in an AI AX chasis, it is about 13lbs.. not a good hunting rifle.

#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge

I read this to mean no wildcats, not that hand loading was excluded.

I would start with bullet weight - 250 g min. And yes - .338's and .340 Wby can do the job - but why not go to the .375 - some say softer kicking and also - can use it in Africa if you need a larger caliber for certain game.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.