One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

I went through this exercise last year. I bought a Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC. Mounted a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 in nightforce UL rings and a tall Atlas CAL bipod. All in I am at 10.2lbs. I have plans to shoot the 156 berger for everything. I regularly hunt in grizzly country in Idaho and am planning on an Alaskan moose hunt in 2021 with this set up. Would I hunt a grizzly with it - you bet. Would it stop a charging grizzly? Maybe maybe not, but I came to the conclusion that nothing but a shot to the face is going to stop one with anything less than a .400 + caliber, so I am betting my life on a 156gr berger and am at peace with it :). Realistically I'll have a sidearm when I am in that country, but I know that wasn't part of the game:)
Berger vs. grizzly...save that last bullet in the sidearm for yourself. :)

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
350 Remington Magnum. Handles everything, including dangerous game.

I'd have to say any CRF in 30-06 or .308. Most will be nice and light, store ammo is abundant in many weights, you didn't mention normal humans being youth or female. Recoil and muzzle blast are modest at worst. A well placed properly constructed bullet will stop anything on Earth! P.S. I'm not a fan of either but they'd be hard to beat.

Not " picking" on you post, I'm merely using yours as an example of how easily we can "drift" away from the "rather narrow" criteria of the OP! This was intended to take many of us "out of our comfort zone"! If a "stopping cartridge" were not part of the criteria.....you would be "spot on"!

Women and youth aren't likely to hunt alone in "big" bear country. And isn't it "perhaps" a bit "misogynistic" to assume that a woman can't handle a larger, more powerful cartridge! :eek: My wife hunts with (her only hunting rifle) a .338 WM (no brake).....and is quite comfortable with it. memtb

Many ways to approach this topic... First, let's NOT allow handloaded ammunition... And No $80 per 20 "special" loadings. DO you really handload much? In 2005 or so, mgr at Mountainview Sports in Anchorage told me "Used to be lots of our customers loaded their own ammo. Now they just buy loaded ammo and call it a day".

Really gonna use a magnum as an "all-around rifle" down in the lower 48? Maybe if you're some Texas Banker who takes clients out to a fancy deer lease once/twice a year... Those guys all used to have to have Weatherby's; now maybe it's Christiansens with carbon barrels and the great glass scope dujour. I moved, am clueless about your down there goings on...

Ace Alaskan Guide Phil Shoemaker is famous for his sig line about the adequacy of the .30-06. Never feel undergunned up here with the 220gr rn core-lokt type round. I'm partial to the Ackley Improved versions of the .30-06 and .338-06, personally.

I grew up reading Jack O'Connor, so a .270win was my first rifle for everything and it served me well for varmints to deer. These days, I would choose a .280rem and there is factory ammo & rifles for the AI'd version. The .308 based variants would also do pretty well. The greater bullet selection in 7mm chamberings gives it the nod over the 6.5mm stuff. Just like my .338-06 has advantage over the .30 when it comes to heavier weight bullets. Lots of guys would say the .35Whelen and call it a day...

What makes these chamberings really versatile, and this IS The Big Benefit of an All-Around Rifle, is handloading... I got a 290gr rn mold for my .338s, and a Lee .225gr mold. Lots of varied applications between those two, and all the jacketed offerings.

Can't really load mousefart ctgs in your big capacity magnums. Got that detonation thing to consider; or you're loading dacron filler or cereal to prevent it. Not very likely to any degree of success.

A small-case magnum, like the .338win mag is more versatile. I can load the .338/300win mag from 65gr to mid 70s range using a 250gr jacketed bullet. 65gr of xmr4350 is very mild. The trend has been to larger capacity cases w/o belts though.

For an all-around rifle, I usually think a guy would do best to avoid the max load and throat burning light bullets. Didn't know about this when I was loading 90gr Sierra hp's in my 270 when I was 14... Later found the 130gr Sierra boattails would take varmints even more surely at distance.

For All-Around purposes? The -06 case in 7mm, 30, or .338 caliber; with the AI shoulder is about as good as it gets.

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
300 win mag 215gr berger Hybrid custom build total 10 lbs

My modern day 338nm same basin My hunt set up, all in as shown 9-12oz loaded,w/atlas,sling
B5D49F36-A556-4F03-92B5-37D478106A80.jpeg

Last edited:

My go to is keeping it pretty simple: HS Precision PHR in .338 Win Mag, Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42, very accurate with Nosler Custom ammo Accubonds in all the sizes they offer.

35 Whelen AI, 700 rem action, 22" shaw stainless barrel, mcmillian lightweight hunter stock, leupold 3x9 ultralight scope, talley one piece low rings. Loaded with 5 rounds of 225 nosler ab @ 2825 fps and sling, rig weighs 7.25 lbs and is a real hammer , easy to carry and shoots flat enough to get out to as far as I want to shoot ( still has a ton of energy at 400 and still going 1840 fps at 500). just

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 with 22" barrel, Trijicon Credo 1-8x28 scope (first focal plane), Ching sling, Hornady 200 gr ELD-X.

Many of the above suggestions are of the "big bore" variety, which would be great for Grizzly country (dangerous game), but in my mind, way overdone for most NA game. I would not want to carry a big heavy bore caliber on 90% of hunts offered in NA.
I have a relatively light weight 300WSM which I've taken across most of NA, including no back-up in dangerous country. I have never felt a compelling need for more or less.

Everyone must think bears are equivalent to a rynosourus. A 30-30 Winchester has probably killed more charging bears than any modern cartridge. That being said it is nice to have a little buffer for confidence. I've looked down the barrel of my 30-30 at a charging bear (luckily I didn't have to shoot, she turned last second, thanks to my dog, and took her cub and ran) and I remember wishing I had my 7 mag or 300 win between me and the bear. Both would have twice the power and shock of a 30-30.

To answer the original post, a Seekins Precision Havok pro hunter, in either 28 nosler, 7 mag, or 300 win, leupold vx5hd 3-15 or the new vortex razor hd lrht 3-15. Load a barnes LRX or Hammer bullet in any of those cartridges and you have a close range bear hammer with the capability of dropping game further out.

What's this carrying two loads while hunting about? Ex- (carry a bonded bullet in the rifle and then throw in a berger if you have to reach out further). Anyone actually tried that? If so, how much game have you wounded because your barrel was fouled in for the wrong load? Or do people carry there cleaning kits on all their hunts now a days? I guess there are a lot of long range road hunters that never leave their trucks... so that would make sense

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.