older receiver rem 700

harleybug

I'm just curiouser if there s good or bad things with older rem 700 receivers I have 2 that are from the late 60s

None that Im aware of, in fact those are usually more sought after actions when compared to the newer actions. The old adage "they just don't make em like they used" to would be appropriate in this case.

The newer actions, made on CNC machinery, are a lot better than the older ones where they were moved from station to station for each operation required. CNC made are grasped by the machine and many operations are performed before the action is removed from the machine. This eliminates human error. A CNC will do nothing its' controller (computer) doesn't tell it to. A novice might feed raw material into the machine and remove finished work, but the programmer of the machine isn't [a novice]. Long run production CNC can even be programed to run a certain number of parts and then shut down demanding cutting tool changes (the darned thing will tell the operator which tool to change) and can't be restarted until it has been reset. It takes no skill to take an insert (cutting tool) loose and turn it/flip it/ install a new one. Chances are with either an old one or a new one primary extraction won't be there. It's a false rumor that the older ones are better. Either way, they're both made on a production basis, nothing 'custom' about them.

I didn't think anything was custom about them in the first place I was just curious if they were made out of a different types of steel or something in that fashion. I also wanted to know if it was something I needed to worry about wile building a long range rifle off of them.

I'm just curiouser if there s good or bad things with older rem 700 receivers I have 2 that are from the late 60s

In my opinion the only ones that are better (closer to tolerance) are the 40x actions and the custom shop rifles.

These rifles were assembled by real Gunsmiths and they picked the actions for fit and finish. just like the barrels.

The rest are mostly the same. except for the different finishes.

J E CUSTOM

How about the ADL's vs the SPS? I know this question has probably been asked before but if I plan to scrap everything but the receiver and buy a PTG bolt, are the receivers the same? Seems to me the SPS actions feel smoother than the ADL's.

How about the ADL's vs the SPS? I know this question has probably been asked before but if I plan to scrap everything but the receiver and buy a PTG bolt, are the receivers the same? Seems to me the SPS actions feel smoother than the ADL's.

The actions are the same except for the finish. The SPS has a very rough mat finish that makes the action drag a little more than the polished or jeweled bolts. They only make the actions out of one material and quality. Actions may vary in feel but they are the same (It would cost to much to make different grades so they change the finish and adjust the price accordingly.

I normally just polish the SPS bolt and use it, or jewel it and it works and looks great. I also try to get the right bolt face and action length so bolt replacement is not an issue.

When I can I like to find a used or new Remington 700 with a laminate stock,. This also saves lots of money. The only thing to replace then is the barrel and the trigger.

J E CUSTOM

So, I called Remmington a while back to ask this question of them. they are all the same with respect to materials and machining processes. as to the old vs new, I am not sure that matters either if you have your action blueprinted or 'trued' because that again would make them all the same.

The older trigger from the rem 700 with springs is a better trigger for lower pull and crispness, but again, if you are putting an aftermarket trigger in, then mute again.

good luck.

I seen a program a while back where Jim Zumbo was interviewing Kenny Jarrett about using Remington 700 actions for new builds. Kenny said that the only 700 actions that he would use are with serial numbers beginning with A, B, or C. Don't know why have always been curious myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.