Old School

Dr.Tramp

I like a lot of the new firearm technology but prefer to own and shoot old style firearms. Here are some of mine.
Uberti 1885 Highwall in 45/70. Vernier rear sight and Hi-Viz front sight, refinished furniture.
45-70 #2.JPG

All original 1943 Remington 1903A3 in 30-06. I even have the WWII bayonet and scabbard for it.
1943 Remington 1903A3.JPG

1950 Husqvarna model 64 in 270 Winchester. Still trying different scopes on it to see which works best.
Currently it's wearing a Leupold M8-4X Gold Ring.
Husqvarna 64 (B).JPG

Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

Very nice Dr. T. There is something to be said about old school. It seems to never be out of date, at least in my mind. I also have an 03 Remington all original but lacking the bayonet and scabbard. Every firearms owner should own one and get back to the roots of shooting. Did not intend to insult the black powder guys but this is only my view, so i will stick with it. Again very nice arms. I would try a 2x7/8 on that Husky. I think you would be very happy.

Very nice Dr. T. There is something to be said about old school. It seems to never be out of date, at least in my mind. I also have an 03 Remington all original but lacking the bayonet and scabbard. Every firearms owner should own one and get back to the roots of shooting. Did not intend to insult the black powder guys but this is only my view, so i will stick with it. Again very nice arms. I would try a 2x7/8 on that Husky. I think you would be very happy.
Thanks. IMHO the Springfield 1903 and it's variants is still one of the best rifles ever designed and with the bayonet installed it has a real "pay attention to me" look.
The big puff of smoke when shooting black powder gets some fun/strange looks at the range so I load up some black powder rounds for the 45/70 from time to time but I'm fairly lazy and cleaning the bore after shooting is a lot of work so I don't do it often. :)
The Otto Road Shooting Range outside of Cheyenne, where I have a membership, has a 1000 yard range and quite a few members that shoot old style big bore rifles. It's also on the Cowboy Action competition circuit so we have a lot of fun.
I have several more scopes, including three older model Weaver fixed power K3-60s, that I want to try out on the Husky. The big problem is having enough clearance under the scope for the large safety lever to work correctly. I need to find a rear sight for it too in case I want to use it without a scope. The originals are kind of hard to find so I'm thinking of going with a Lyman folding leaf sight.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

A lot of history there that us 'younger 'guys don't know about....my dad has a 30/40 Krag that doesn't get shot much anymore cause it kicks like a mad mule lol

Thanks guys. I'm also into classic handguns and shotguns. This is my first year 1917 Colt with a WWII era K-Bar and a former Baltimore PD Stevens Model 77C Riot/Trench gun.
1917 Colt & WWII K-Bar.jpgStevens 77C.JPG
The 30/40 Krag was the precursor to the Springfield 03. Nice rifles.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.