Old reloading powder

ntsqd

I was recently given 5 cans of old and different reloading powder, two of which were not in their original containers.

Nah, just not going to risk it. Not worth the possible undesirable outcomes.

As we do not have any lawn I decided to burn it. Don't think our neighbors would take kindly to me fertilizing their lawns that way.

Do have an all steel work table outside well clear of any flammables. Most of the cans were nearly full 1 pounder's. It was interesting to see the difference in flame volume and heat expelled by the different powder types. The powder labeled "296" (in an old IMR can) had the lowest volume of heat and size of flame. IMR 4227 seemed to have the most, by a lot - had to back off even further than I had been after getting it lit. I'd have to dig the other cans out of the trash to know what they were.
My wife was impressed by the heat and size of the flames.

Curious if anyone else has done something similar and noted the results?

I applaud you by not using this powder and discarding it. I used to assist EOD troops setup demo charges on captured weapons in Iraq. Talk about a flame, this would take your breath away!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.