old hunter

safety fred

Years ago my freinds and i redused the noble Whitetail Deer to varmit statis with very accurate long range shooting. However as years go by the body changes. I now look for the same performance without violent recoil. Hopefully 6.5 bullets might possibly be the answer. All comments Greatefully appreciated.

welcome
a freind has a huskavarna in 6.5X55 and swears by it! He calls it his meat maker. Although he has had and still has trouble getting 165 grain ammo for it, so, I turned him into a reloader. His rifle is an old one that just hates the lighter 140 grain pills. But with 165 absolutely deadly on white tails.
If recoil is starting to be an issue try putting a mercury suppressor MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSORS, RECOIL REDUCTION, REDUCE RECOIL IN SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES in your butt I did in my 7mm rem mag and they really do work!

It's really tuff to park my model 70 300 win. however I cannot slugg it's butt stock. This gives me another reason for another rifle I'm also looking at the new 6.5 Creedmore just for one hole rifle. Only accurate ones interest me as the great Colonial once said. And by the way my old 300 is a one hole gun at 3100fps with 180 NBTs and 180SSTs

My very good friend and hunting partner and I just bought 2 new Savage Light Weight Hunters, mine is a 308, scoped, weighs less than 7 pounds and his a 6.5 Creedmore and weighs the same. Both bolt action with flush mount magazines, 4 rounds each way.

The only issue with the Creedmore is the availability of ammunition (store bought). Joyce Hornady is your only choice. The 6.5 is a very accurate shooter, very managable recoil for a light weight rifle.

I prefer the 308 though the 6.5 shoots a bit flatter. You can get 308 anywhere, local hardware store included. My worst horror is loosing ammunition on a flight to a hunt, baggage gets lost all the time.

I'm old too......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.