ok, what do I need for a decent priced long range elk gun?

boy did you open a can of worms and we all love to express our opinions.
I will asume you meant $1000.00 for the Gun. Do youself a favor and look up Montana rifleman online. They offer complete stainless steel barrelled actions with custom contours and twists for $900.00. Add a little extra for magnums and breaks. My cousins live in Montana and Idaho and have been killing elk for years with 270's. In my opinion, anything over the 300 WSM is wastful even out to 500 yrds.
The 30-378 weatherby is a real cannon. The theory is you can reach way out there to unmentionable range with it but its like a top fuel drag car. Only good for 1 thing!

USMCjarhead!

Kirby,
You are one "Stand Up Guy!" I don't know very many folks that will steer business away from their shop to help the customer meet their needs. I still plan on getting you to build me an AM this year, and hope to one day get to shake your hand.

so checking out montana rifleman......any gunsmiths, like Kirby have any input on them? do I still need to get the action trued, or are they already good to go?
I would like to get a muzzle brake installed, but not sure if thats their thing or not.

thanks for the info, I'll keep reading about their stuff..

I was planning on having an remington 700 action built in the 7mm allen mag but things changed. I'm pretty sure you can get them built on an 700 action at least but I will not say for sure since I am not kirby. I would talk to kirby/fiftydriver if you are wanting to build an Allen mag.

One thing that hasn't been determined is how far is Long range? big difference between 500yds and 1500yds.

In my case, I have a personal limit of my Leica 800 which will read to around 950yds. Most of my LR hunting is going to be inside 800yds.

My choice is a Savage 110 in 7RM. Even with a 24" barrel, this barrel spits them out at near STW velocities. I shoot the 162gr SST and Amax. SST for close range, Amax for far.

With the ballistics these bullets give, there is little issue with boiler room shots are far as I can range. Ballistics that I feel are superior to a similar model in 300WM.

I have owned a few Savage rifles and these things shoot extremely well. As well as many custom rifles and certainly better then most factory.

I and many others up here have really enjoyed these value rifles. There is little reason with your budget you can't get a complete rig with money to spare.

Have a good look at the Elite 4200 line of scopes. I think you will be impressed and they are most certainly affordable. The new gen Nikon Buckmaster SF are also very nice value.

Make sure you bed those Savages and tune or replace that trigger (unless accutrigger). Set up with weaver bases and Burris sig rings w/inserts, you have the makings of a great rifle.

Jerry

I was in your same shoes about 2 years ago. I decided to buy a Remington 700 LSS in 300 RUM. I got the trigger down to 2lb, got it glass bedded, and started reloading. I have shot a couple 3.5" and 4" groups at 800 yards. 1.5" group at 525 yards. And I can hit a 14" gong at 1150 yards more times then not. My rifle cost about $700, and the trigger and glass bed was about say another $100 or so. I then slapped a $450 Leupold VX2 6-18 Target and called it good. I have my 1000 yard elk rifle. I am somewhat limited on rangeing abilities right now because I'm almost to the point where I can outshoot my Nikon 800 rangefinder. I would bet money that if you buy a Rem 700 in 300 RUM, get the trigger down, glass bed it, or float the barrel, get some good reloads, and you will have a 1000 yard elk rifle for under $1500 with a good scope.

Youre getting that accuracy at that range from a LSS? Daaaaamn. Does it have the stock barrel? I knew it was a nice gun and owners loved it but ****. I passed up on a LSS in .300rum for a Sendero I wanted. I waited too long and it sold from under me, went back to get the LSS and adios to that too. They arent easy 2 find, atleast not when I was looking. The new Senderos are due out in a couple of weeks so all is well, .300rum here I come. Im still impressed with the LSS, seems its got a good owner shooting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found a LSS in .300wm recently, I still want one but I'll reserve the .300rum for the Sendero. The LSS is one sharp rifle indeed. We are talking about the grey laminate stock and stainless barrel right? Don't want to be talking about the wrong rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regarding recoil, I assumed it would be a little potent out of the LSS, seeing as its not very heavy. Not bad eh? Well thats all subjective so what may not bother you would irritate me, hahaha.

The Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .30-06 kicked like a **** Mule. A few years of shooting that out to 400 yards and it went bye bye. It was **** accurate though for that tiny, thin 22" barrel. I'll never buy a light rifle again. Id rather lug a heavier VLS/VSF/Sendero around any day.

ya I think I'm gonna go with a 700, get the trigger fixed, and go shoot. over time i will true up the action, rebarrel, new stock, muzzle brake, but right now I want to get one running.

I'm trying to decide between a 300RUM or a 338RUM????? kind of want the 338 because when I rebarrel, I would like to get a 300/338RUM, so we'll see..
thanks for the info,
I wish savages didn't look so bad, or I would just grab one of those...

Yes it has the stock barrel. I was very impressed myself. I was debating forever on the sendero/lss but the weight of the sendero packing up and down steep canyons just did not intrigue me. I went with the LSS because it was lighter basically only reason. I have not seen a sacrifice in accuracy.

lovdasnow,
I would recommend getting a 300 RUM, handloading a 165GR. of your peference, 96.0gr. RL22 and tackle elk with a well placed shot at extremely long ranges with confidence. This load in my Sendero produces 3600fps. and 4750ftlbs +or-. I can attest to 800yds and one shot!

If you get a 300 RUM, I would suggest nothing lighter then a 180g. I played around with to many bullets and lost half my life finding loads for every weight of bullet. Thats just the tinkerer that I am. Now I'm a little older and wiser, I think I'll stick with at least a 200g and be done with it. The 165g are still cooking and got some energy, but the 180g I think is where it really starts for the 300 RUM. If you want a hunting bullet for LR, the 200g AB might be the best bet. For a target bullet, The 220g and 240g SMK's are good choice. I have been shooting the 210g berger VLD with very good results, but I think they are more of an explosive bullet then the others. My 2 coyotes can attest to that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.