Do I have a Longe Range Gun?

Mr. Ed

I have a Browning A-Bolt .300 Mag with Boss and 5x15x50 B&amp;L scope. I have it sighted with Barnes TSX 168gr in front of 74.9gr of Reloader 22. It is sighted dead on at 300yd. What do y'all consider long range. I have been trying to find target knobs to no avail. I checked Stoney Point but they don't have any. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

yep, ya do. And welcome, glad to associate you.

Figuring deer sized things and smaller you're good for as far as you can hit it where you wish with that load.

I'd go up a bit in bullet weight for larger than deer animals.

Go through all of the processes so that you know your Point of Impact from about 200 to say 900 yds. I say 900 yds as Goodgrouper shot a cow elk last year, in the shoulder at 820 with about the same outfit. Do a search and read about it.

Longrange for me is anything over 500yds with an upper limit of about 700. That's only because I can't shoot and my rifle is for squat, and I have no good bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Long range is a matter of personal opinion, equipment, ability level, and conditions. I have shot in conditions where 300 yards was long range. If your rifle is capable, and if you are capable, then yes you have a long range outfit.

I have been meaning to start my own thread about what constitutes long range and the ethics associated with shooting at great distances. I haven't quite figured out how to go about starting the thread without being thought a troll, or at the minimum a trouble maker, lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ankeny

Your first statement sums it up. It is up to each shooter to determine what is long range and what is ethical.

This is what you agreed to before you were allowed to become a member of the site.

"This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site. "

Some stones are better left unturned and some dogs are better left sleeping. The forum is a great place because there is a minimum of name calling and insult trading.

WWWIIllllbbbbuuurr.........I am hunting over about 500 acres of new cut that this about 5' high. I love to settle in about 40' up and glass that cut. I have killed several at over 300 yards and I hope to do so again this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ankeny,
I also bellieve that your initial statement covers the reality of long range shooting that this site is intended to support and explore. Why no ethics - because we are not here to preach-about or convert or defend our enjoyment of shooting out to the limits of our gear and personal abilities. We are here to fine-tune this ability, to add an extra hundred yards of confidence and to share a lot of great shooting info. I completely agree with your statement that long range shooting varies continually with external conditions.

Most hunters stay within the law, most hunters don't like wounding, most hunters try to place their bullets with lethal first-shot accuracy. Those are givens - period.

Went to my favorite cut block on the weekend. Usually weather cooperates. Not that day. Grass is flattened, trees rocking and crashing. Yes, that would be a bit windy. Under those conditions, the 425yds to the treeline would have been a very tricky shot. When conditions are ideal, 900yds is not that far at all.

Distance is limited by your skill/conditions - the ability to put a bullet where you want when you want, THE FIRST TIME. Most rifles can be tuned to shoot min of deer way out there. Most shooters can't.

So practise, practise, practise to find out what you can and cannot do. There really is no min or max. Just what you feel is right.

To know if your rifle/load is up to the task, shoot at a variety of distances you range. I practise onf 'moa' sized rocks. See it, range it, dial up, dope, shoot. If you hit, that's good, if you missed figure out why. Repeat, many many times. You will quickly see how far out before misses come all to often and adjustments don't seem to matter. You have reached the mechanical limits of you and that rifle. Tune, practise/learn more, build a better rifle if need be.

Took a couple of very experienced hunters and pretty decent shooters out for a LR demo. Neither had practised beyond 500yds but had taken game there. They had the 'ethics' to know they were on shakey ground.

A bit of basics then they started launching lead. Once they got over the 'fear' of shooting further, the possibilities came through.

The highlight was a 940yds one shot one hit on a 10" boulder. Yes, the grins were pretty wide.

With properly tuned rifles, distance (at least those that can be readily ranged) is no big deal. Your ability to dope wind and conditions are the limiting factor.

Buy a good range finder (Leica or Elite 1500), get a scope with turrents (Nikon Buckmaster SF with mil dot 4X14 is a best buy or any Elite 4200 /Nikon Monarch target scope), work up the best ammo you can (rifle and load must shoot consistently sub MOA as far as you want to go). Get out there and find your limits through practising.

You have a lot of potential in that rifle.

Jerry

I believe you have a good foundation to build on, depending upon your needs and your willingness to put forth the time to tune yourself as well.

By the way welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy it here, as I have found the members to be very helpful and friendly for the most part.

Also BUFFALOBOB if I can ask without hijaching post where can we get a list of rules, as the only ones I am aware of are:

What are the rules?
Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.

Thanks,
Ben

Shadowman

Here is how you view the rules that you had to agree to to become a memeber

1. Get you computer to this site but "DO NOT LOGIN"

2. Up at the top of the page in orange text will be "NEW USER"

3. Click on it and it will bring you to the "Board
Rules"

4. You will notice down at the bottom there is the little clicky thing that says "I agree"

Why do I know this? Because this is the first forum that I ever joined and I was very worried about online security and what kind of people were on such forums etc. My desire to meet and talk to people who were doing openly the kind of hunting I once did overcame my worries. I have been very happy here. You can go over to introductions and you will see that I am not an easy going nice laid back kind of person. I try very very hard to keep my normal personality in check and off the forum. What I learn from you and others is the stuff I wished I knew 25 years ago. The information is worth more to me than my ego but it is not worth my self respect.

P.S.

I probably should not have made that post up there, I just was trying to do Ankeny a favor and keep him out of trouble because he seems like a nice person.

I'll help out a bit on the site rules... we're hijacking this thread a good deal but it seems topical in some sense.

On the registration screen folks should see:

"Like elsewhere in life there are rules here also...

These rules are a quick overview of the entire rule set and general demeanor of this site.

Background: This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site. We are here to learn and share methods, techniques and equipment ideas.

This web site and all related or referenced materials and links are solely and strictly for informational purposes. Moreover, this web site is intended solely for the dissemination of information for lawful purposes to Long Range Hunters.

The individuals who maintain or contribute written material to the web site known as Long Range Hunting take no responsibility, nor will they be held liable in any way, for unlawful acts that are claimed to have been "inspired" by, motivated by, or suggested by anything presented at this web site.

You, as a visitor to this web site, are warned that you, and you alone, are responsible for your own actions at all times, and that you will be held responsible for any unlawful acts you perform. Long Range Hunting will, at any time and at its own discretion, remove comments deemed to be offensive, including, but not limited to, comments which include vulgarity, racism, or any act of unlawfulness. As well, Long Range Hunting will, at any time and at its own discretion, also inform the appropriate authorities of any inappropriate or unlawful behavior posted to this web site.

Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any product or procedure discussed or referenced on this page. Visitors to this web site are advised to conduct their own investigations into the quality, adequacy, or propriety of the product or procedure. Further, Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any handloading information contained on this page. Any person using handloading information obtained from this page must remember that each gun/load combination will result in different pressures and any handloader must work up from a minimum load to any load listed on this web site, keeping in mind the safety of the handloader and those around him.

Rules:

1) This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.

2) We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.

3) Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.

4) Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.

5) Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated, leave it on the other sites.

6) Racist remarks are not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

7) Posts that are in obvious violation of the law will not be tolerated and the offending member will be reported to the proper authorities.

8) Rules are subject to change to meet the needs and desires of the members and owner."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.