First Long Range Gun

Pahunter

In deer season this year i shot my first long range deer, if 400 yards is long range with my fathers rifle. I wont always be able to use his gun so i am looking to get my own. Here in PA most of the long range shooting is out to about 800 or so yards, but farther distances are possible. Any recommendations for a starting rifle at a reasonable price, prefferably under $1000 bucks?

Hi,
my suggestion is,
savage12 in 300wsm. scope, leupold 4.5-14x50x 30mm tube.
burris signature rings.
you could have this for $1000-1100
and I guarntee you would not be dissapointed
I would suggest pillar bedding eventually
good luck.
308 nate
smile.gif

Nate,
I was under the impression they "do" have pillars already?

PaHunter,
I'm not picky, well that's not enirely true but, for me, it would depend on a few more things.

If I wanted tip top accuracy at the very least price, I think Savage is where I'd look for sure.

I suggest that you spend a bunch of time reading the archived stuff in Basics, then start to make a decision. Not much that we haven't covered here except maybe long range hunting with pitchforks
wink.gif

Remember that you must decide on caliber, rifle model, scope and mounts, ammo, Harris bipod, laser rangefinder, gun case(s), wind meter and a few other basics.

Maybe you should consider a rifle in .300 Weatherby and mooch ammo from your dad
wink.gif
I know that is what my son would do...

Brent,
I'm sorry for not being more clear on the pillar bed. Yes Savage has pillars in their stocks.But it is a very poor pillar bedding,in fact the rear pillar is only half there due to the trigger.When I suggested having it re-pillar bedded I mean new pillars put in and having a layer of devcon epoxy put in between the stock and the action. I believe Savage's pillars are better than no pillars and just sucking it into the stock.Also Savage recoil lug just sits against the stock and in a pillar bedding job the stock is milled out around the recoil lug and replaced with epoxy.

Don't let the price fool you ....(No flaming please)I don't think you would do any better to buy a 700 Sindero,Winchester,Tika Etc.. in other words you could spend $600-$1000 and I don't think you would be any better off.I don't really have anything against the above mentioned....I am just getting tired of Savage slammers I believe they make as good or better of a product as the above. Sure there's been flaws with Savage but no more then the others.I am a gun smith and have worked on a lot of Remingtons factory barrels with crooked chambering (you could see with the naked eye),tight spots in the barrels,and rough barrels.So unless your going full custom,I feel Savage is the best.
So if you feel different That's fine, I won't hold that against you.I'm not trying to start an argument(especially the way the posts have been going lately)

I also feel that your better off spending a little less on your gun and not chintzing on the scope.

pahunter,
The reason I suggested the 300WSM is that you don't need to go any bigger.I personally don't like heavy recoil guns,You can develop a flinch and then you can forget about long range hunting.(in other words a flinch is really hard to get rid of)In fact I don't think a .308 is too small.I shot a deer at 700 yds. with mine and it died just as quickly as it would have at 100 yds.
This is just my view on things,I hope it helps.
308 Nate

[ 03-16-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]

Thanks Nate.

This thread got me thinking how much the rifle's really worth without all the right stuff. I think I'd be lost without the good repeatable scope and rangefinder, a good reality check, Ian, Nate.
smile.gif

I think that a good long range gun is a 25-06. It is very flat shooting. It is good for long distances. All have heard about the 25-06 was good things.

Thanks for the info guys. I took your advice nate and got a savage 12 .300wsm. Leupold rings and a 20x50 leupold scope. I shot it at 100 yards and was getting half inch groups
smile.gif
At 200 yards im still sub-one inch. I also bought a model 70 classic featherweight 7mm wsm and put a leupold vari-XIII on it (3.5-10X40) It shoots just as good. Earlier i said i was on a tight budget, which is true, however a few years back I Played baseball With Tug Mcgraw for a charity thingy. I had him sign a few baseballs (11 to be exact
grin.gif
) and a T-shirt. Well he died not long ago and i found myself sitting on a gold mine
wink.gif
Gotta love Ebay

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.