OK, My turn on the 6.5 Creedmoor

They might even shoot the same group with there worst load, but I doubt necking down a 308 a few thousands causes it to lose its inherent accuracy.
What I'm talking isn't measured by the best, but by the worst group
You were the one comparing a 7mm to a .30 caliber... What more accurate way to do it, than using the same parent case...?

It's not really fair to compare the 7mm RemMag to a .308 Winchester...They're not even in the same category. However, if they're both accurate, an accurate gun is an accurate gun. I guess you could compare a 7mmRM to a .300WM. Both have just as good a chance at equal accuracy.

You were the one comparing a 7mm to a .30 caliber... What more accurate way to do it, than using the same parent case...?

It's not really fair to compare the 7mm RemMag to a .308 Winchester...They're not even in the same category. However, if they're both accurate, an accurate gun is an accurate gun. I guess you could compare a 7mmRM to a .300WM. Both have just as good a chance as equal accuracy.
That's my point: (edit) a 7rm or 300wm is not as inherently accurate vs a 308 or 6.5cm. Forget about how accurate they can be but measure how inaccurate they can be

Last edited:
That's my point: they're not inherently accurate vs the 308 or 6.5cm. Forget about how accurate they can be but measure how inaccurate they can be
You're correct, just like I've been stating this whole time, there is no such thing as "inherent accuracy". :cool:

I wasn't saying they were less accurate, I was stating that they are in 2 different categories of cartridge. Short-action non-magnum, and long-action magnum. Accuracy is accuracy regardless of what the case size or capacity is. There are LOTS of folks out there with custom rifles in 7mmRM and .300WM shooting .1xx" and .2xx" groups on average with handloads. Wouldn't that eliminate the "less-accurate" magnum cartridge argument?

When you say how inaccurate they can be what exactly are you referring to? Like worst group size or?
Yep, worst group size, I suppose I should say how imprecise they are since precision not accuracy is what I'm actually talking about

Yep, worst group size, I suppose I should say how imprecise they are since precision not accuracy is what I'm actually talking about
How are you positive that is your rifle's worst group size it can shoot? Or are you referencing out of that box of ammo? How are you positive it has anything to do with the rifle's chamber, and not the ammo?

How are you positive that is your rifle's worst group size it can shoot? Or are you referencing out of that box of ammo? How are you positive it has anything to do with the rifle's chamber, and not the ammo?
Base it off of load development. Same brass, same loading procedure, equally good groups on the best group, but smaller groups on the rest of the load outside of the node indicates that a particular cartridge is inherently accurate

Base it off of load development. Same brass, same loading procedure, equally good groups on the best group, but smaller groups on the rest of the load outside of the node indicates that a particular cartridge is inherently accurate
Not necessarily, it can be indicative of a higher quality barrel that has a better metallurgical alloy that creates wider nodes... Every barrel is different. That has nothing to do with the cartridge case.

Not necessarily, it can be indicative of a higher quality barrel that has a better metallurgical alloy that creates wider nodes... Every barrel is different. That has nothing to do with the cartridge case.
Then prove me wrong. Take ur 5r 300wm and 5r 308, load the same bullet at saami length and work from min to max in 1gr increments. If the aggregate group size of the entire load development is equal or better with the wm then the 308 ur right

Why would I load to SAAMI spec length? Why not just load to the same length off the lands for each? Every chamber is cut differently, therefore the only fair way is to seat the bullets the same distance off the lands, that way it's equal.

If the same accuracy is not achievable for magnum cartridges as it is non-magnums, then why have magnums always, and continue to, put down record groups at 1,000 and beyond in comps?

So if I use this target from last load work for my SAC 300 win hunting rig and do the same test with a 308 just measure the biggest groups? I am going to try it!
A28A3342-8287-4069-8B41-FEA3867E1DB8.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.