OK Before I do something stupid...

I set the powder scale up last night and carefully measured out 110gr loads, enough to fill all my tubes. I'll probably go to the range and give it a whirl shooting from the bench later once I get the morning round of chores all completed. Then we'll see if I can hit an accuracy node.

First trip 110gr, 77 by weight.

Next trip we'll try 105, and follow that up with 107.

The 122gr definitely seemed to be a bit much and things opened up quite a bit.

U scared me. Thought u did 110 gr by weight. I was about to call and saw u showed the conversion. Wow. Don't scare me like that. Even if u are demented.

Hahahaha

U scared me. Thought u did 110 gr by weight. I was about to call and saw u showed the conversion. Wow. Don't scare me like that. Even if u are demented.

Hahahaha
No Brother, I'm crazy as hell but I'm definitely NOT suicidal!

Went back out today, learned a good bit more.

Set up on the bench at the firing range and was not at all happy with my first six shots sighting in. They were kind of all over, mostly high and left.

It dawned on me then I was being very inconsistent in my form and out of habit on the bench just trying to let it free recoil using my left hand on the rear bag.

Light rifle (for me) 300gr bullet and a heavy load pushing it. It suddenly dawns on me that at these velocities the bullet is staying in the tube about twice as long as it does with most of the rest of my centerfires!

Adjusted my form... .

Started putting my free hand on the top of the scope giving slight downward pressure. Guess what?

Yep suddenly it tightens right up! This was with the 110gr/vol loads.

When I'd run through all 12 of those I had to wing it since I could not plug in the electric scale.

Backed off just a tad for my final six to what I'm thinking is going to be right around Doc's sweet spot of 107gr.

My last six shots made 4 holes and this included 2 minor adjustments on the scope!

I'll load up five tubes eyeballing it as I did this afternoon and see just where I come out weight wise.

I'm about to come to the conclusion that this thing is a real shooter even with me behind the trigger!

BTW this rifle has the second best factory trigger I have ever fingered second only to my CZ singe set triggers!

I'm thinking someone at the factory really screwed up because it's definitely under 1.5lbs and I haven't even touched it to adjust it at all.gun)

Don't you just love it, when a shooter first starts getting excited about shooting his new muzz?

After he starts getting it to group good, he needs to stretch it out to 200yds. gun)

Yeah and hope he does like we did last year. Practice at 100. Check for 200 and the elk comes in at 36 yards!!!
That's perfect!!!!!!!

Don't you just love it, when a shooter first starts getting excited about shooting his new muzz?

After he starts getting it to group good, he needs to stretch it out to 200yds. gun)
I'm really not. I benefit from this site a lot so when I dive off into something knew I want to share the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all to help anyone else that finds themselves in similar circumstances.

Shot some more today and it was a learning/remind experience.

Tried to dial down the power on my scope and the power right was stuck. Gave it a good look and sure enough the scope had "walked" nearly a half inch to bind up against the power ring/mount.

First thing I did when inspecting it was check to make sure the mount/rings (single unit) were snug and they were. Should have put the torque wrench to it. This probably has a lot to do with my my grouping really tightened up nicely the last 16 shots on the last outing. Once the damned scope quit flopping around it got much better!

Fought the wind a lot today shooting and of course had to sight in again after remounting and torquing down the scope.

Last 7 shots disappeared into four holes. Not bad.

Had a little powder left so eyeballed the same load for some of the Barnes TEZ's with 290gr bullet.

There's nothing "EZ" about the easies. Much harder to get loaded than the Scorpions.

Shot one, about dead center horizontally but about 4" High. No problem, not unexpected.

Got distracted during my reload routine by a customer call, and failed to load a bullet so I got a really stupid sounding and feeling "Poof" when I pulled the trigger. One wasted load of powder and primer. Was surprised by how little of the powder burned.

Got distracted again, and could not remember if I'd actually loaded two bullets instead of one. Not having a witness mark on the rod since not settled on a load yet I could not measure.

Wasted load of powder number two. Salvaged about half of it though and was pleased to find I would not have blown myself up. Still can't find one bullet... ? Hmmmm.

Last three went Ok but the grouping was horrible and I do mean horrible. About 4".

Probably done with that bullet and sabot combo. Might try the same bullet though again if I can find some of the black Harvester sabots sold without bullets.

Have nearly four full packs of the Barnes I have to do something with.

I may do some more tweaking, definitely will do some more shooting with it till I have the muscle memory down pat so as to avoid screwing up due to interruptions in routine. I am though getting better at it. My barrel actually stayed mildly warm throughout today instead of having time to cool completely between each shot.

Still working on the learning curve but it's almost nice to be a novice at shooting again due to the enjoyment of challenging myself and learning something new.

If I'm there. You know I can find it!!!!!!!
Use white out on the ram rod. U can clean it off once u settle but it is easy and safe for you u Gil you get everything dialed. Hold off on running to buy more. I have some things to send u. Think I have scorpion black sabots. Also call them direct. They can send u just sabots. But I may have some.

If I'm there. You know I can find it!!!!!!!
Use white out on the ram rod. U can clean it off once u settle but it is easy and safe for you u Gil you get everything dialed. Hold off on running to buy more. I have some things to send u. Think I have scorpion black sabots. Also call them direct. They can send u just sabots. But I may have some.
Yep I'm working on that but the raceway for the rod is so tight anything I put on it rubs off really quick. I've got a range rod ordered that should be here in the next few days that will solve that problem.

Once I have settled on a load I'll use a rattail file to mark my witness line on the factory rod and that way I will be able to not only see it but feel it.

exactly what I do! A can of birchwood casey gun scrubber, remington 40x bore cleaner, blue loctite, barricade. Strip the stock off, blow the action out, clean out the breech plug threads. 40x the bore about 50 strokes, clean it all againm relube the frame internals with Barricade, bore gets barricade as well. Go shoot!

Hey all,

New to the site and to ML. Like Rose, I'm a neophyte who just bought (and haven't shot) an Accura V2. I am still waiting to my BH breech plug to arrive, as well as my BH 209.

I've really enjoyed and appreciated reading this thread. Lot's of kernels.

Can you elaborate on "lapping" and the need to do so, please?

Thanks for the hand holding!

Last edited:
lapping is a lot to strong of a word. With the Bergara barrels, they really dont need lapping, its just a safe bet to use the 40x bore cleaner on a tight jag and scrub the bore for about 30-50 strokes to remove any unseen burrs that may have been left behind. Another great reason I do it, remove that nasty packing grease they use to prevent rust while in storage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.