OCW results interpritation

Just my opinion. But here goes.

You noted you shot round robin. Since you are shooting a rather stout rifle getting set up consistently is critical and I suspect some of your spreads are associated with not getting set up consistently. Try not shooting round robin.

I would also recommend not using the chronograph when shooting 3 shot groups and concentrate only on the target. Your standard deviations are meaningless. The ES tells you something but not enough to really depend on.

I think you can try working around #4 with a seating depth test to tighten up that spread.
Agreed on not shooting round robin. I know it's what Dan Newberry suggested when he created OCW, but there is much value to positional consistency and shooting 1 charge at once.

84.2 is in fact a little bigger than 2" triangle. I know all shots in that group were well executed. Not perfect because I'm not, but not pulled either.

RE bullet selection, I'm a heavy weight kind of guy. That bullets weight and BC make it formidable and I want to see how far I can stretch it. I also assumed I'd be able to get enough velocity to keep it stable. That assumption looks suspect at this point in testing though...

Bullet choice #2 is the 205gr Elite Hunter. I already have some on hand and the shorter nose profile means I'll have some more room to tune seating depth too.

My range has concrete benches. They are at least stable and I try to position myself as consistently as possible, but I also know that I'm no pro.

At this point I'm just trying to use a methodical approach to starting load development. This was 100% square one so I wasnt expecting great groups yet.

Next weekend I'm going to push it up another grain. I'm also now leaning toward doing a 6 load OCW test with the 205s also. Or maybe I'll ditch these and go strait to the 205s. The extra weight isnt going to do me any good if I have no room for seating adjustment or the velocity to keep it stable. Decisions decisions...

I'm not looking for the smallest group, I'm looking for the least vertical dispersion. But, I also dont know how to interpret what I'm seeing. Its definitely 1 and 2 or 4 and 5. But which, or does it matter? And what is the deal with #3?
DO you have the option to test the same groups at a different time of the day and further distance?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.