Oal hsm 25-06

YOSEPPY

Well I'm getting ready to go break my new 25-06 in and on a whim decided to measure the hsm 115 vlds and came up with a difference of .009in from the longest to the shortest. If I was to be hand loading these would that be a huge difference? I'm only shooting factory for the brass so I can reload them.

Well I'm getting ready to go break my new 25-06 in and on a whim decided to measure the hsm 115 vlds and came up with a difference of .009in from the longest to the shortest. If I was to be hand loading these would that be a huge difference? I'm only shooting factory for the brass so I can reload them.

How did you measure them? What tool did you use?

What they said ... your reloading die should have a cup at the end of the seating stem. The cup will engage the bullet on the ogive, not the bullet tip, establishing a consistent gap between the bullet and and rifling in the barrel. Getting the consistent gap is more critical than overall length for accuracy. You can ignore minor inconsistencies in the bullets by controlling the gap.

You need to measure from the Ogive not the tip to base.

Yep!

1102141016_zpsd5f1c554.jpg

1102141017_zps90822456.jpg

1102141018_zps8ad450a4.jpg

(Above pix is for .300 Win Mag.)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.