NX8 1-8 for a hunting rifle?

Which scope?
How do you like that magnification range? What's your typical shot distance?

Sorry, its a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x and I also have a 1-6x. I run the 8 on a 308 180gr AB and only have enough velocity for 500 yards for bullet expansion. I have ran it out to 830 on steel and everywhere in between. Shot an antelope last week at 423 with it. It is one of the quickest point and shoot optics Ive seen and used. It sits on a Tikka CTR.
I shoot a lot so am very used to it. I can use 1x for 200 yard shots if I want also. I do not feel handicapped with it at all.

cheers

I think the 1-8 would make a great hunting scope. I really wonder about people you see putting 8-32 on hunting guns. Do they pack in concrete benches on their hunts?
I've gone the route of lower, normally fixed power scopes, and I don't use a bipod, I use a Stubben backpack as a rest.

I have this scope, and it has a particularly small eyebox. If you're not reticle ranging or holding over, there are frequent debates on why you would go FFP over SFP. I have FFP scopes on all my rifles except those that call for a low power variable, and they all wear SFP scopes.

Any one using it on a hunting rig?

I love 1x scopes and I'm pretty comfortable shooting with 10x to any distance that I've tried, out to 600+ yards. so dropping to 8x doesnt seem like too much of a loss.

17 ounces, so a touch lighter then my NXS 2-10.

It's going on a packing rifle, so shots likely to be below 200 yards. 500+ would be unlikely.

I think it's a great option, although I don't use one, I have used similar over the years, having the 1X can really pay off in a hunt, and 8X will take you out to any reasonable hunting range and then some.

My goto Huskemaw 1.2-6x24.
Sits on a Christensen Arms carbon classic 308, 20 in barrel.
light weight compact package.

I grabbed a 1-8 for a smaller 308 I will be putting it on and think it will work nicely. I don't need to go out too far to shoot at the moment and just wanted something handy and fun.

3C0D37AE-5E78-4447-A775-092A40FBAC03.png 61DE9D18-7B33-4A33-9B8E-ED697CBA937F.png
I built a 16 in 6.5 Grendel for hog and deer hunting and put the NX8 on it.
While the dot is a bit big for long range, holding over on the reticle gives a finer aiming point for intermediate ranges. The 1x with illumination works great up close, and the dot is ideal at typical feeder ranges. I love the scope for this type of rifle. It is not really lightweight compared to other brands but it is well built. The 2.5-20 nx8 will likely be my next scope.

I've tried Burris XTR II 1-8 sfp on my 7mm-08 Tikka. It's a great scope slightly on a heavier side, but above 5 or 6 power the lowlight performance is pretty poor due to the small objective size.
I would recommend Vortex HDLH 1.5-8. It's not illuminated, but it's light light weight and has great glass

When I was hunting coyotes I had a cheap 3 by 9x on 6mm Remington that worked fine for out to 450 yards. It was good for my brother out to 600.

The best day I had with it I drove in a pasture and had 5 dogs on a cow and went five for five. It stated at 100 yards and the last dog was 450 or 500 yard shot. Running straight away lead isn't much of an issue. I think the scope was set on 4 or 5x.

I had to shoot the cow too. Not a good day

Last edited:
I think the 1-8 would make a great hunting scope. I really wonder about people you see putting 8-32 on hunting guns. Do they pack in concrete benches on their hunts?
Yes, I pack a concrete bench with me. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running a NX8 on my 3 gun rifle for a few months now. I love it so far, have only taken it out to 600 or so, but that about Max in 3 gun anyways...Red dot very daylight bright, don't ever have to turn it up all the way even during middle of day. Fast both eyes open engagements are a breeze....

If you have the chance of animals jumping up in front of you that you need to shoot RFN, get the nx8 1-8. If more of your shots will be 100-1000 get the 2.5-20. I have both FWIW

The 1-8 on 1x is super fast for those close shots

I've watched this thread for 5 days, this scope would be one of my last choices for a hunting scope. Reason being the reticle, 1.25 moa dot, coupled with what I call the shroud surrounding it, it obscures a lot of surrounding area. Throw in half moa, or .2 mil clicks, just getting a solid zero is not easy.
Of all the LPVO scopes I have owned, again, last one I would choose for pinpoint accuracy over 300 yards.
To the op, if you are really considering this, you owe it to yourself to seek someone out who has one and try shooting it. 1600 to your door for real limited possibilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.