NV 041-042 Speedgoat

highsierra

New to the forum...Thought I'd share a photo of my 2011 Nevada pronghorn shot in zone 041-042 during the early rifle hunt. Took this guy high off a ridge in the Seven Troughs Range at 329 yds with my Rem 700 Varmit Special chambered in .308 shooting custom loads topped with 168 berger VLD bullet. Stock is a MPI Thumbhole and scope is a Leupold Mark IV. Saw lots of goats up high in most all the ranges in the zone. Had to really look at quite a few dinks before seeing some good ones.

davelope1.jpg

davelope3-1.jpg

I had the same area and posted here. Did he run after the hit? Did you recover the bullet? What is your load and chrono speed?

I did 4 different days of pre season spotting.

I had the same area and posted here. Did he run after the hit? Did you recover the bullet? What is your load and chrono speed?

I did 4 different days of pre season spotting.

the buck dropped IMMEDIATELY in his tracks...stone dead. I did not recover the bullet...exit hole was approximately the size of silver dollar. As for the load, I havent had much time to mess around with different powder / primer combinations. For now, I'm still using my old stand by...pulluing the bullet off military ball ammo and stuffing a 168 gr. Berger VLD on top. The gun has always absolutely loved this load. Not sure what it would chrono at, or how it would perform at ranges over 500 yds. I know, I should....and I will when I get enough free time in my schedule (vacation) to really investigate. I do know that I have shot deer and pronghorn out to the 500 yd mark and never had one take more than a step or two provided they were hit "right".

I used to shoot a load through this gun that performed similarly: 42 gr of IMR 4895 topped with 165 hornady BTSP. When I discovered the bullet swap load...and the fact that I have thousands of rounds of ball .308...I switched to almost exclusivly shooting this load. Cant complain about the cost either...very economical...which means more rounds downrange for a cheeper cost.

By the way, where did you end up taking your buck? Was it on the back side of Rye Patch?

-HS

Yes we drive across the Rye Patch dam and then head north about 1/2 way up the lake. There are all kinds of two track trails to the lake sides. Nice places to camp all alone. We throw our fishing lines in and blast Jacks every morning and night just walking the ridges. It doesn't even seem to bother the Antelope.

I had mine down opening day before the sun was up and back home butchering before 10:00. I just took a great big cooler with ice bags. Quarter him up. put a leg in poured ice over put another leg in poured ice over.

I spent 4 separate days scouting all over. I saw more feral horses and burros than antelope. Some hot dusty bad road driving in four wheel drive. Friends , jacks , and beer make it into a fun field trip.

We had Select-a-fire M-14's in the military unit I was in. .308 is kind of fun with a 30 shot banana clip on full auto. Or for that matter the m-60 machine gun (.308 also)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.