NRA Dinner Fund raiser?

highlanderll

Fellow hunters and shooters: I would like to share with you the happens of the latest NRA dinner fund raiser here in Anchorage Alaska. A co-worker of mine (a serviceman) and his wife went to the dinner and had a really great time. John's wife was buy raffle tickets and placing them in the different baskets as most of us have done over the years. One of those tickets just happened to be for a brand new 338 federal rifle. John's name was called as the winner of the rifle he went up to receive and get his picture taken, and the serial number from the rifle was placed on his ticket for verification when he went to pick the gun up the next day after filing a 4473. All went home happy with the evenings events. The next morning he was contacted by an NRA staffer telling him that he was not the rightful winner of the rifle and would not be aloud to pick up the rifle. Know remember he still has the wining ticket in his pocket with the serial number on it! He is then told he will receive either a 22 pistol or 22 rifle instead. Well as you can imagine this did not sit very well and all of us at work were, a little more than surprised that the NRA would do something like this to a fellow sportsman, and servicemen. After further questioning about the situation it back quit clear that the NRA staff had ulterior motives for the rifle and it didn't include John whether he had the winning ticket or not. Upon arrival at the gun shop to pick up the rifle he was meet by NRA staff that where rude in the least. He was told he was not going to get that gun, and he could leave with what ever they gave him or leave with nothing at all. Well everyone at work has now heard about this from John for several days now (on the account he is rather ****ed, I would be to). So after a couple of cooling off days to steam over the whole situation, he has decided to turn the whole thing over to an attorney. What happens next is going to be interesting in the least!

I am posting this to get everyone's feed back, I was under the impression the NRA was a sportsmen's friend and alley but this last incident is with out question inexcusable.

I would contact the NRA headquarters. I think its premature to implicate the NRA, when this could be the result of the actions of an isolated individual(s).

I agree, I'm involved with the same sounding type raffle and dinner for the "Friends of the NRA". I can easily see a local dope being underhanded but really wonder how the NRA representative could be involved. For us, they are present for the event and gone that night once paid for all the merchandise. Outside intervention seems wise.
Ross

Thanks for the posts I think your right, I don't personally think the NRA is doing it. I'm under the impression that someone with "Friends of the NRA" was making a deal behind the seen. Will probably never know!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.