Not pretty but it works well - case cutter

flashhole

I posted this on a couple other forums and the response has been good so I thought I'd post it here too.

So my neighbor gave me a Lowe's gift certificate for plowing his driveway last winter when his nephew was house sitting while he and his wife wintered in Hawaii. I told him it was not necessary, that's what neighbors do, but he insisted.

I picked up a Dremel model 4000 and the quick-release accessory blade kit with the gift certificate.

Last year I bought a mini chop saw off of eBay with the specialty fixture to cut down resized 223 cases to 221 Fireball or 300 Whisper. Da@% saw broke after the first use.
I found the red Dremel holder on eBay and thought I might make my own brass cutter.

The setup doesn't look like much but it works really, really well. I used file folder carriers from an old file cabinet as the guide rails and a 1"x3" piece of scrap wood as the slider. Using the Dremel I eyeball cut a recess into the wood. It nests the case perfectly and is tightly secured by light finger pressure. The small piece of metal on the back end of the case acts as a stop so I get the exact same length cut on every case. From there it was just a matter of screwing the guide rails to the table. Very simple. I will likely mount the whole assembly on a piece of hard maple shelving I have for easy storage.

Getting the reforms cut to length was the biggest problem converting 223 Rem to 221 Fireball. I tried a mini tubing cutter and the mini chop saw before I arrived at this solution.

I wish I had never purchased the el cheapo mini chop saw but that was an integral part of the "system".

I really like this Dremel.

This is the eBay link for the Dremel clamp.

Dremel Tool Holder Fits Bench Vise Fits Models 4000 4200 | eBay

I cut case necks with my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel, making 358 Grant out of 300wsm. ( after sizing down I had to cut off over 1/4" of the necks off).

So I know the concept well.

Please wear safety glasses.

Safety glasses are always worn in the reloading room. This exercise also requires ear plugs because the Dremel is pretty loud at high RPMs.

I tried to cut the massively excess necks with my motorized trimmer but almost ruined a cutter head and I was afraid that I would burn up the motor. So I trimmed just long of my target case length, then finished with my normal trimmer.

What an ordeal !

If you already own a Dremel, this may be a simple alternative method. It works really well. Some of the guys on other forums are asking me to do a video. I may do that but this is very simple and requires little explanation.

I like it. I would like it better if the case was held to the board with a die. Something like a seating die or a chamber gauge that had been cut off and bolted to your board.

Modest finger pressure holds the case in place. I cut the groove for the case to offset the taper. It squares up nicely to the cutter.

I end up cutting about .004" off the rough cut case.

I'm very happy with the results.

For making .300 BLK brass, I use a custom CNC'd jig (bought on eBay) that's made for the Drillmaster 2" mini cut-off saw. Works awesome.

Here's a few pics of it.

6D455A5E-0C70-4668-805E-099C8D08C37E_zpsp0oi2q9e.jpg

984388F6-6B02-48DA-BE0B-C28645D3A4BC_zpsmcbecfhb.jpg

D9E92FD0-3314-4836-BE58-E970B49D3704_zpszgijgowx.jpg

Makes some nice brass. It is virtually repeatable the same length every cut. I have mine setup to where I still have to trim the final couple thousandths off to ensure the case mouth is square. Then I chamfer, and deburr (as usual).

E11A7075-CAF6-482F-8700-04C9D63AEB8C_zpsimera6wl.jpg

I had a similar system but the saw crapped out the first time I used it. That's why I made this one with the Dremel. I'm glad yours is working out for you.

Good idea, I like it.
I have been using one of the smaller 3" chop saws to cut down brass for my subsonic cartridge. I too cut them a little long and then finish the trim by hand to ensure things are squared.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.