Not happy with 156 EOL

Hummm, I have a gut feeling Berger designed the 156 EOL (extreme outer limits) bullets for something longer than a 50 or 150 yard shot. 3000 FPS seems a bit fast for near shots. I try to load for my max shot so if my max shot available is 300 yards I would load down verses a 1000 yard shot. I think it's a good bullet but I would slow it down a little. Just sayin!

What twist is your barrel? .

Intially there were similar comments about the 195,s....however it seemed some were putting it through barrels that did not have enough twist. The bullet had not stabilized and was not hitting perfectly nose first

Worked great double lunging a cow last night. 6.5 PRC pushing the 156 EOL at 3040fps. She took 3 steps after I shot her behind the shoulder at 340 yards. Both lungs were jello.
96430FF5-0F0D-4CB7-9B0A-6251FDF4311D.jpeg

Berger Bullets are hit or miss. I've had penciling and explosion on contact. I've had 6" penetration and expansion like they should. Like stated every animal and shot is different. The one thing I can say about Berger is accuracy and long range performance. Every animal I've shot has died either DIT or 100 yds from hit. Seems like bears and deer are the usual " how did it run that far" after the perfect shot. Elk die. Coyotes explode. I've considered switching bullet manufacturers but why. Anyone that has hunted for a few years will tell the story of the animal that ran off "perfect shot". It happens even with the Barnes or nosler. Let us know how the 156 does on the doe. I'm sure you'll be happy. Good luck

If I can hold 1/2 moa out to 500, it shouldn't effect the bullet at 150 yards.
Accuracy and stability are not parrallel, you can have a very accurate load with an sg of say 1.3, and won't necessarily see the effects of it until way out, often times not until going through transonic range. However the way a bullet performs terminally, especially a long nosed small diameter hollow point like the bergers, can be different.

Accuracy and stability are not parrallel, you can have a very accurate load with an sg of say 1.3, and won't necessarily see the effects of it until way out, often times not until going through transonic range. However the way a bullet performs terminally, especially a long nosed small diameter hollow point like the bergers, can be different.
I am at 1.41

I was planning on using 140 gr Hornady ELD-M'S on this year's hunt out of my 6.5/06,,, but my long time hunting partner shut that idea down...

I switched to 140gr Nosler Partions and couldn't be happier,,, they lay it out there at close range on out to 300 meters with plenty of Punch-Junk...

2980 at the muzzle seems to be enough to harvest the thick skins with in my shooting zone...

I'm sure that the triple shock bullets would be close to the same,,, another go performance bullet up here for the thick skins is the G-Max,,, I'm a big fan of bounded bullets...

Just me i guess,,, thanks for the heads up,,, I'll watch the thread to see what other folks mention...

I couldn't shoot the 156's any ways since my rifle only has a 1:8 twist...

Cheers from the North
You can shoot the 156 with a 1:8. Do it all the time out of my 26in Proof 6.5 PRC. I've shot it out to 1000 yards with great consistency. But, if most of you shots are less then 500 meters frankly I'd stay away from Bergers in favor of a tougher bullet like a Swift Scirocco or some bonded bullet. Less than 500 meters you really don't need a high BC to get great performance. I hunt in Arizona for Coues deer and most of our shots are 400-700 yards, and sometimes farther. So high BC bullets made to perform at lower have velocities have always been the ticket, but if I'm hunting up north in the trees for elk I switch to a bonded bullet. I have had great luck with Nosler Accubond and partitions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.