Nosler m48 mountain carbon rifle

Nothing specific, just trying to find someone else that had one this last year and enjoyed it. I think the good thing is I haven't seen any posts hating or bashing it. Lack of forum posts on a rifle can be a good thing I guess lol

Nothing specific, just trying to find someone else that had one this last year and enjoyed it. I think the good thing is I haven't seen any posts hating or bashing it. Lack of forum posts on a rifle can be a good thing I guess lol
I bought this rifle to be an Elk hunting machine meaning low volume shooting with the exception of load development. The recoil from the 28 Nosler on a light rifle is firm but I do not see you having that problem with the 6mm Creedmoor. I always recommend a muzzle break or suppressor for recoil reduction even on a 6mm Creedmoor just to make shooting more pleasurable.

Yeah it would be paired with a Hyperion suppressor, i don't like my kids shooting without one now. I've already got a 6.5 in a field craft that is kind of a do all rifle for my oldest son. I have been looking at smaller caliber mainly for deer and antelope, wasn't really looking at this rifle or caliber specifically but wanted a carbon wrapped barrel and this one came across my email for under 2k and it seemed like something worth researching

Actually as I'm thinking about that 24" barrel I might should look for something a little shorter with that suppressor, might be too long otherwise

I know this is an old thread, but I do have some recent experience with the M48. I have it in 28 Nosler. It has been difficult over the past several years to get powder and bullets (It loves Retumbo and Nosler 160g AccuBondLR, getting around 3,200 fps). I have spent a couple of years in the mountains with it now. First the good: love the weight, with a muzzle break the recoil is mild, it is fairly tough having been knocked around a bit in very rough terrain, it is well balanced, and very flat shooting. The bad: First and most significant, magazine length is very short. I tried to develop a Berger EOL 195g load and could not do it due to the length of bullet. Second, after mounting a scope with some very high priced rings I was having issues, so I checked the alignment and it was terrible. I had to lap the rings a substantial amount to align them. Third, twist rate. The 1-9 twist does not stabilize some 175g bullets (check Bergers stability calculator). So your options are somewhat limited in the ELR style bullets. I am going to install an MDT chassis to improve the magazine length issue, but that will add some weight.