Nosler 6mm 80-gr Ballistic Tip for Coyotes

beezaur

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question: What do you think of Nosler 80-gr Ballistic Tip bullets in a .243 Win for Coyotes?

Expected muzzle velocity 3300 to 3400 fps, max range 650 yards.

I am looking for a quick kill above other considerations. I can get other bullets, but I found a box of these lying around. Never used them before, and I couldn't find much with the search function.

Thanks,

Scott

those will give you a quick kill forsure! I've found a good 90gr load for my .243, and now am working on some 75gr v-max loads, starting to look promising. I was thinking the same thing as you with my 75grainers...good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have a .243 AI with a 9 inch twist and it has proven to be quite choosey about which projectiles it will shoot well . I have used the 70 gn Nosler and found it to be quite a good killer on game larger than coyotes . Perhaps not as dramatic as the 87 gn V Max . Could not achieve a combination of accuracy and velocity that satisfied me with either of those projectiles though . Believe the 70 gn will shoot accurately if you drop below 3500 FPS but that doesn't excite me .
Tried the 80 gn Nosler with H4350 and found accuracy around .75 MOA . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The 80 gn Berger match shoots into the 3's with that powder in my rifle but Berger availability is an issue .
Today I have tried the 80 gn Nosler with WXR which is the same as RL 22 . Four consecutive 3 shot groups between 0.3 and 0.5 MOA off a bipod with charges from 50 to 51.5 gns . Velocity was right up there at 3370 thru 3480 FPS . More experimentation required but think it is going to be a winner . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you want the best windbucking ability you might wanna try the 105 AMAX. You will need to have around a 1-9 twist to stabilize them but with their BC they will dope the wind better than anything else.

At 500yds the beat out a 300 RUM shooting a 125gr ballistic tip at nearly 4000fps in wind drift!!! They really give the wind the middle finger!!

If they wont stabilize then the BT's you have been talking about will do they job **** nicely.

I hope you aint a pelt hunter because I have seen the results of all of these bullets thumping a yote and it aint pretty, well unless you like to see what I like to see!!!

good luck
steve

Thanks, lerch.

Actually 105 A-Max is my normal load, but I'm out of bullets right now. I lob them out at about 2800 fps using H1000 to conserve barrel life. (Some competition shooters have been getting over 3000 rounds out of theor barrels loading like that.) I was worried they wouldn't open up reliably on a 'yote. Maybe I should hurry up and order more. My rifle likes them.

I'm looking for major splat factor. I want to drop them dead with a hit on anything close to a vital area.

I have some Berger 95-gr VLDs too. I have no idea how those would work to kill.

Scott

We have several in stock if you need some, just call 1-800-522-3314 and ask for Steve or BJ. I have never seen a prob with them expanding violently, those jackets are paper thin

take it easy
steve

If you want splat then the 87 gn V Max is for you . Considerably more than anything else I've seen from a .243 . Accuracy might be ok in your rifle .

I've got two .243's and shoot the 105gr A-Max in one and Hornady 87gr HPBT in the other (1-10 twist). I've shot the 87grainers to 580 yards with very good success; in fact, they shot slightly better in my rifle than the 87gr V-Max's. I'm loading them up with 47.5 grains of H-4831SC and am getting 3235 fps out of a 26" bbl. They are just as wicked on varmints as the 87gr V-Max's.

TAC

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts