Bullet testing: 308 Nosler Ballistic Tip (Hunting)

MagTen

Over the past several months I have been test loading several bullet types and brands for my future use on an antelope and mule deer hunt in WYO. Previous testing indicated the 168 grain AMAX exploded while shooting into 1 gallon water jugs. Bear in mind the loads used on the AMAX full power loads and shot about 75 yards. The testing we did today we used a full load of 168 grain Nosler BTips (hunting). The second load used was a slow load of same bullet and same powder. The full load was 2700fps. The light load was 2300fps representing the speed on impact at maybe 300-400 yards. All pics are of the Nosler BT. Notice one slug (the slower one) had less bullet mushroomed. The faster bullet mushroomed much more. In my opinion the Nosler BT will be my choice for plains shooting. The Nosler AB did well also and I did find out at the range the BT and AB grouped exactly the same at 100 yards. Therefore the BT will be my antelope load and muley and whitetail load will be the AB. I am aware my testing of the AMAX at full loads at 75 yards is unacceptable due to the explosive nature. . We will shoot the AMAX at reduced loading tomorrow and see what happens.

308-BT-Top.jpg

308-BTip.jpg

308-BT-Bottom.jpg

Did you take them apart or did they all separate cup and core? I have caught lots of bullets in milk jugs and have never had that happen. Only time I saw that was a mulie shot at 800 yards with a 300g sierra match king.

Steve

Interesting how the jacket always separates. I shot a deer this year with a .277 150 grain BT and the same thing happened. I found only the jacket of the bullet and it looked just like your reduced velocity bullets. Deer was shot at 563 yards. This was my follow-up shot which entered the chest and ended up just forward of the hind quarter. Great penetration (no bones hit), good expansion. Even though the jacket separated I was pleased with the performance. My first shot hit a little high on the shoulder and passed through. I feel like these bullets are great for short to moderate range but might be a little hard for good expansion beyond 800 yards. They are very accurate in my rifle with average groups coming in around 3/8 moa.

All of the above is with the coated Ballistic Silvertips. I tried regular 150 grain Ballistic Tips and got worse grouping and higher pressure when using the load. Just today I tried some regular Ballistic Tips coated with HBN and was very surprised with the results. Using 68.0 grains Retumbo I was getting 2975 fps from the Silvertips. With HBN coated bullets and the same load I was getting 3100. Accuracy was around 1/2 moa but I didn't allow much cooling between shots. Definitely going to play around with the HBN coated bullets a little more.

Interesting how the jacket always separates. I shot a deer this year with a .277 150 grain BT and the same thing happened. I found only the jacket of the bullet and it looked just like your reduced velocity bullets. Deer was shot at 563 yards. This was my follow-up shot which entered the chest and ended up just forward of the hind quarter. Great penetration (no bones hit), good expansion. Even though the jacket separated I was pleased with the performance. My first shot hit a little high on the shoulder and passed through. I feel like these bullets are great for short to moderate range but might be a little hard for good expansion beyond 800 yards. They are very accurate in my rifle with average groups coming in around 3/8 moa.

All of the above is with the coated Ballistic Silvertips. I tried regular 150 grain Ballistic Tips and got worse grouping and higher pressure when using the load. Just today I tried some regular Ballistic Tips coated with HBN and was very surprised with the results. Using 68.0 grains Retumbo I was getting 2975 fps from the Silvertips. With HBN coated bullets and the same load I was getting 3100. Accuracy was around 1/2 moa but I didn't allow much cooling between shots. Definitely going to play around with the HBN coated bullets a little more.

What brand are the silvertips?

What velocity do you think your slug is traveling at 825 yards out?

Did you take them apart or did they all separate cup and core? I have caught lots of bullets in milk jugs and have never had that happen. Only time I saw that was a mulie shot at 800 yards with a 300g sierra match king.

Steve

I did not separate them. They poured out of the jug separated. They were both in same jug (lead and copper).

What brand are the silvertips?

What velocity do you think your slug is traveling at 825 yards out?

They are the Nosler Ballistic Silvertips hand loaded in Remington brass. Supposedly they are the same bullet as the hunting Ballistic Tip but with an oxide coating. Muzzle velocity is 2975 so I figure they're traveling around 1800 fps at 800 yards. Closer to 2100 fps at the range I shot the deer, 563 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 182
NOTICE CONSTRUCTION DIFFERENCE

Years ago when I heard the term Ballistic Tip I thought about "Blowup". NO longer.

Ballistic-Tip-Hunting.jpg
BT Hunting
Ballistic-Tip-Varmint.jpg
BT Varmint
AccuBond-bullet.jpg
Accubond
Partition.jpg
Partition

Ballistic tips may not be the most accurate bullet available nor a good super long range bullet. But they are almost the only bullet I use for 600 yard and less deer sized game. They have worked flawlessly for the last 10 years at least that I've been using them. Never had one fail to expand and never lost an animal myself with them. I can't count the one shot kill count with them. Practically every animal didn't go more than 35 yards. Maybe only a handful went further than that but we're still expired in less than a minute. One day when I go for 600 yard plus kills I'll find a more adaptable bullet for those applications but right now I love BT bullets.

They are not a one hole bullet from my experience. It seems no matter how hard I work it's hard to group them smaller than 3/8 Moa yet 5/8 Moa is usually achieved very easily with little work.

Ballistic tips have been a great bullet for me from 257 to 30 cal. They use to be my go to bullet in my guns. Wish they made them in higher weights and I would still be using them. I've pulled a lot out of game and the core and jacket separating is common. The jacket has always made it through to the offside ribs or hide. My boy just drop a cow elk in her tracks with the 25-06 115bt.

Only concern with them is if you push them over 3200 they won't hold together on close shots.

Nice bullet review thanks for posting.

I used to use ballistic tips but after having one separate on a white tail at about 60 yards I have swapped to bonded core bullets and have not looked back. I am sure they are fine on thin skinned game like white tail and antelope but for bear, elk, or something similar, I would not use them. Just my preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.