Nosler 190 ABLR

I appreciate you all sharing your wisdom and experience.

I started from scratch with my load development to be sure I didn't miss anything. Whether it was an inaccurate measurement the first time or the throat has already moved back .005 already I don't know, but the measurement is different. That measurement difference was significant during my test.

Also, due to the component shortage right now, I changed powder and primer. I have 10 lbs of IMR 4064 that I don't use since I haven't shot NRA HI Power in 10 plus years. It is going to be my test powder to isolate seating depth. Not optimal for a 190, but it is better than throwing rocks. Once I know the seating depth ball park I will go back to Reloader 23 to fine tune the load. It shouldn't be surprising, but IMR 4064 shot the best groups so far. Although they are slow at an average of 2612 fps. The std dev was also high at 33fps for 33 shots.

These are the results based on a small sample size. (3 shot groups don't tell you what you have, they tell you what you don't have.)

.050 - 1.5 moa
.060 - 1.8 moa
.070 - 1.25 moa (coal is 3.338" almost Saami)
.080 - 1.25 moa
.090 - .75 moa
.100 - 1.75 moa ( I called a flyer, but included it.)
.110 - .68 moa
.120 - 1.75 moa
.130 - .5 moa
.140- .25 moa
.150 - 1.75 moa

For my purposes I know what lengths don't work. I also have some hope for the 190 ABLR in my rifle. It seems like there are multiple accuracy nodes at different seating depths, but the nodes are in narrow windows. The widest being between .130 and .140. I have a few directions to test further.

Muddy boots was correct I should have started at .340 coal. In my rifle that is .072" off. View attachment 246717The Nosler rep was right that I missed nodes using the Berger method on a Nosler bullet. 🙂 Yet, the best groups are a lot deeper than .100 so far.
Good info. Looks like your in a zone at .130 .140. Now just when you think you've got it all figured. You load some at .135 to split the node, go test, and end up way outa wack! Just kidding, that's what happens to me your going to be dialed.

Last edited:
I'm running 210's ABLR out of a 30-06 (not AI... yet) with 55.8 grains of IMR 4831 with OAL 3.330, so just a tad under SAAMI max length. Somewhere between half and 3/4 moa with under 20fps ES. But I have heard a lot of people can't get them to shoot. I'd try .1 to 110 jump and play with powder charge in .1 increments til you have a group that shoots. This load (for me) runs just about 2600 FPS. I have so much 30-06 brass I don't think I've reloaded any of them more than twice, so can't speak to brass life with this load, but it is borderline on hot.

I got extremely lucky moving from the 150gr Nosler Partition to the 150gr ABLR. In my .270win it grouped better than the partitions, with the same load. The point of impact changed and required some scope dope. Not much 3 clicks elevation, 4 clicks windage. I'll take luck every time. 51.1gr of I4350 with CCI200 primers, FC brass. I'm shooting a SIG 940shr and it has liked every load I've fed it. I wish they still made these rifles, or at least the barrels.

Had same problem with my M48 LR carbon. I ran about 170 rounds of 190ABLR through the gun with every variable I could come up with. I never was able to get them to group. For what it worth.

I'm gonna have to give the 190 gr ABLR another try in my hunting rifle. I still have some and would like them to work. The rifle shoots the Berger 190 gr VLDs really well. But I've been using the Nosler 200 AB for hunting.

So I'm impressed with the nodes. If I get to .5MOA then that us usually good enough for me. Maybe I'll keep the seating depth change going on my 6.5. I also have some 210's for my 300Rum as a backup. They shoot ok out of the box to kill at 4 to 500 yards. They were about ..8 to 1 MOA at 300 yards. I generally load bergers but was able to get a good load with the 220 ELDX at sammi case length. So easy feeding in my RUM. Also with the RL26 it produced some great speed out of it.

I fully expect the groups to open up with 5 and 10 shot groups. I have no illusions to believe this combo will be .25 moa. If I can get a large sample to stay sub moa in the 2800 fps range in field conditions, I will be happy with this as a 600 yard plus elk rifle. Although, I would like to test few other powders, but they are unobtainable right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.