North Slope AK this Aug, need some rain gear

JARHEAD1371

I'm headed to northern AK this Aug after caribou with a buddy on a DIY hunt. A fly in service is providing food and camp gear, and I have several sets of wool base layers and other outerwear. I'm torn between Kuiu, First Lite, Skre, and Furlough (mostly Skre and Furlough).

Had anyone owned Skre and Furlough?

If you want the best breathable I'd go with Kuiu or Sitka. I've used and abused mine for years. I haven't heard of the other 2? Make sure your rain jacket has pitzips or you will likely get wet from the inside out! If you have room you may also want to bring along a pair of Helly Henson. If you are in a constant downpour HH are great for around camp.

If you decide against a 2nd pair of Helly Henson for camp another option that I bring along at sheep or mtn goat camp is Marmot Precip. They are around $50 each at Sierra Trading or elsewhere. Precip are almost as good as Kuiu and Sitka at a fraction of the price. In fact, I have around 3 sets of Marmot Precip.....they are amazing for the price!

Kuiu chugach is light and has some stretch to it.

If you need absolute toughness the kuiu yukon is heavy duty... not quite as stretchy and heavier. I wear the pants pheasant hunting in brush.

I wear my chugach a lot hiking in rain and snow and barely notice I'm wearing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts