Norma quality control

HNDLDR

Even Norma sends out a dud once in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 86
You think that could be salvaged?? Put it through a sizer, then trim it. After you shoot it the first time, it should stretch some, then trim it again. I wouldn't use it for a once-in-a-lifetime-shot at a 400 inch Elk, but for practice, it might work??
I have purchased over 300 Norma brass over the last 10 years for my .340 Weatherby and every piece has been perfect, but I guess that doesn't make you feel any better about your experience.

Looks like it was done after manufacturer and before packing. Was it Norma bulk brass? It may have happened at the distributer then. I think it is in a big bin and they just count out your order and drop in a box. Maybe that one dropped on the floor. I bought 300 bulk Norma from Midway and all was perfect.

You think that could be salvaged?? Put it through a sizer, then trim it. After you shoot it the first time, it should stretch some, then trim it again. I wouldn't use it for a once-in-a-lifetime-shot at a 400 inch Elk, but for practice, it might work??
I have purchased over 300 Norma brass over the last 10 years for my .340 Weatherby and every piece has been perfect, but I guess that doesn't make you feel any better about your experience.

The mouth was rolled over pretty good. I rolled it back up with pliers as best I could and then ran it through the sizing died. It's still wrinkled pretty good but I'm definitely going to load it and use it. It's for my wife's rifle and we had just switched from Nosler to Norma.

Looks like it was done after manufacturer and before packing. Was it Norma bulk brass? It may have happened at the distributer then. I think it is in a big bin and they just count out your order and drop in a box. Maybe that one dropped on the floor. I bought 300 bulk Norma from Midway and all was perfect.

It was a little 25 piece box. I bought two of them. There is a chance that it wasn't Norma's fault. The messed up piece was in a box that the seal had been broken on. It may have happened in the store.

Not sure whether the image will come through with the post or not but a couple years ago I received a couple of Norma 300 WM cases with bad rims. Norma claimed it was Midway's fault as they were supposed to inspect the bulk brass before shipping. My order was for a lot of 500 cases so it was no big deal. It would have stung a little more if I were ordering boxes of 25 cases and had bad ones.

Attachments

• 20140410_130005.jpg
    20140410_130005.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 77
I have a couple of Norma cases that look that way in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I noticed it when I was deburring. I will post a pic when I get back in my reloading room.

Not sure whether the image will come through with the post or not but a couple years ago I received a couple of Norma 300 WM cases with bad rims. Norma claimed it was Midway's fault as they were supposed to inspect the bulk brass before shipping. My order was for a lot of 500 cases so it was no big deal. It would have stung a little more if I were ordering boxes of 25 cases and had bad ones.
pic tells you a lot about the actual manufacturing process for those belted magnum cases though.

pic tells you a lot about the actual manufacturing process for those belted magnum cases though.

I've ordered about 300 case of bulk Norma for different guns from Midway and there were about 2 or 3 of those bent mouths in each box of 100 so it seem normal to me. I iron it out and shoot away.

I received some 300WM with obvious handling damage, not Norma's fault from what I saw.
Looked as if the box had been crushed by the back of a forklift and, the brass had significant dents and gouges. Sent it back and got an undamaged box back.

Sometimes buying bulk is a gamble.

Cheers.
gun)

Just opened 2 boxes of Norma same lot and they all are longer than trim spec. Usually new brass is a few thou short.

Just opened 2 boxes of Norma same lot and they all are longer than trim spec. Usually new brass is a few thou short.
I actually prefer my brass long to start with, when it's fired then sized, the long (thin) side grows and is easily trimmed off to max length keeping the necks square.
I rarely trim to .010" under max, my chambers have at least .040" clearance ahead of that length anyway.
I deliberately have longer necks in some cartridges, like my 22-250AI and 25-06.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.