Norma case weight variation?

remingtonman_25_06

So I have a 240 WBY and of course only brass is Norma. Never bought anybecause frankly I'm cheap when it comes to brass, I can do all the prep work with REM and win and be ok with it. What I am not ok with is shelling out $2.25 a piece for cases that are suppose to be known for quality. With that said, is a 3 grain spread on a batch of 50 240 WBY cases acceptable? I wasn't able to find any info on their site regarding weight tolerances. I was thinking more along the lines of a 1 grain spread. The low was 185 and the high was 188, so that's a +/- 1.5 grain. Pretty ****** for something you pay $2.25 a piece for. It's expected with REM or win bras, but is this normal for Norma?? Theyve all been fl sized and trimmed to proper length
I have sent an email to Norma expressing my concerns, waiting for a response.

3gr spread will show zero capacity difference in most cases.
I normally check capacity with a Burrette filled with 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water.
In my experience a 3gr WEIGHT difference will show less than 1/10th of a CC in capacity. In an '06 size case, this is insignificant.

This is how I explain why case weight rarely matters within the same brand.
Next time you trim a few cases, before you discard the shavings, take some and weigh it up to 3gr and see just how little it is.
This difference may just be in the extractor groove due to it being cut eccentric or from forming in slightly different dies where a little more was trimmed from the length.

Even weighing H2O can tell you if there is in fact a capacity difference.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. The rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with 87g v max and RL22, but the ES is horrible. Haven't tried other powders as I had 2# on the shelf and have had very good results with RL22 in the past with several other cartridges/loads.

In regard to horrible ES, if you are shooting within 400yrds/mtrs, it will matter very little over that distance, a centre hold with the correct MPBR will still result in a kill.
If you are shooting 500 or beyond then it will matter in vertical.
I have 2 loads in my 25-06's, a M77 MK II and a Rem Sendero II that have ES's in the 50-60fps range, but will print 5 into a 1/4 MoA. I don't sweat the high ES, I shoot within the limits of those 2 loads.
Either gun can shoot so well they're freaky accurate. Neither are stock, but both run the factory barrels.

Cheers.

I had 3 grains difference over 250 pcs in same lot of norma brass for 7rm

I had 9 grains difference over 100 pcs of bertram brass in 7wsm, it's not cheap brass either
have you checked capacity? I have seen between 6-9 gr many times but capacity is usually pretty good around 0.5 gr they must have the worst consistency in brass alloy. now I don't use it for benchrest or anything but has performed well for hunting.

a drilled flash hole can still have a burr , uniform the flash holes from the inside , check your trim length and re-weigh em

when i get new brass , i look at it like im lucky enough to be the only one who made it worse :oops:

Did you check the weight of them out of the box or after sizing, trimming and uniforming primer pockets? 3 grains ain't bad though

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.