Case Neck Thickness Variation

bill123

I know this has been touched on in many threads but I can't seen to find an answer that directly relates to my question:

I'm sorting brass by neck variation to get more consistent groups for 1000 yard. I'm trying to avoid turning. What is tolerable inconsistency in a neck?

My Lapua 308 brass runs from .0145" -.017".
50% of it is .015"-.016" within a case.
I have some running .015"-.0155" and some .0155"-.016.
There are very few cases that run .0145"-.015" or .016"-.017".

Any suggestions?

You didn't say your chamber neck diameter.
Personally, I cull anything outside .0005 total variance around necks, and covering desired thickness(whether turning or not). I do this to reduce runout down the road, and to ensure I'm not overworking necks in sizing, and to match my brass in H20 capacity.

Your variance spread is higher than normal though.
What are you measuring with?

You didn't say your chamber neck diameter.
Personally, I cull anything outside .0005 total variance around necks, and covering desired thickness(whether turning or not). I do this to reduce runout down the road, and to ensure I'm not overworking necks in sizing, and to match my brass in H20 capacity.

Your variance spread is higher than normal though.
What are you measuring with?

Fired case: .340"-.341"
Finished Lapua cartridge w/ bullet: .337"-.338"
Using a Redding Case Neck Gauge. There is a bit of slop in it.

Assuming you would have the desired thickness left, would you turn cases with only .0005" variance?

I sat on the sideline trying just what you are doing and eventually tooled up for neck turning. I also have a Redding neck thickness gauge but I ordered a 0.0005" dial gauge for it and get all my cases under 0.0005". If you want to be serious about it, I would recommend a micrometer. I shoot factor chambers and neck turning makes a difference in my guns. Once you get everything set up, it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I sat on the sideline trying just what you are doing and eventually tooled up for neck turning. I also have a Redding neck thickness gauge but I ordered a 0.0005" dial gauge for it and get all my cases under 0.0005". If you want to be serious about it, I would recommend a micrometer. I shoot factor chambers and neck turning makes a difference in my guns. Once you get everything set up, it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

What's the dial gauge for the redding tool?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts