NON-TYPICAL rifle build in mind; need some help...

Why not build a switch lug so you can change cal or keep same cal one short barrel and one long or as many barrells and cal as you like keep same every thing else I built a switch lug with the West Tx switch Lug on a Curtis Axiom 6.5 Prc 26 in next barrel will be a shorter 300 wsm if I want to change to a smaller cartridge ill change bolts it is a very accurate rifle
i have not noticed the 6.8 western mentioned. would this be a viable option? guns and ammo have a good write up on this. One thing to consider is the availability of ammo and or components that said the smart thing might be to stay with the
i have not noticed the 6.8 western mentioned. would this be a viable option? guns and ammo have a good write up on this. One thing to consider is the availability of ammo and or components that said the smart thing might be to stay with the 6.5 PRC
PRC
Yes, but you could do that with a properly shouldered barrel. My opinion...they solved a problem that didn't exist. You don't need that WTO lug...just have a smith make you a switchbarrel and buy a torque wrench, a barrel wise and an action wrench and you can do that same thing a WTO lug does. More of my opinion...I want a barrel torqued up against a shoulder rather than a clamp or set screw holding it together anyway.

I have a lot of rifles with the shoulder torqued with a crush too the receiver my dad and I built all of them from the ground up walnut stock and all I allways wanted to build a switch barrel and read about the W T O switch lug had my doubts but went with it I used a Curtis Axiom action that are very close tolerance witch allows me to use prefit barrels Straight Jacket Armory did my barrelled action in 6.5 PRC all I have to do is call them up and tell them send me a barrel for the 300 wsm and it takes a minute to change by hand no removing scope I torque to 30 in lbs I shoot the heck out of it it is just as accurate as my other rifles if not more accurate I have no regrets I do check torque from time to time so far so good

I appreciate the reply but my goals are not conflicting. I'm looking to slow down a bullet that typically is traveling at 3200+ FPS out of a standard barrel length, yet lessen the barrel length which will slow it down, but still maintain equal to or better energy/speed as my 6.5PRC. I'm currently pushed a 143gr. ELD-X at 3130FPS. By shortening the barrel to say 20", I can have an overall barrel length of 26" or so which would be easier to handle through the woods and on hikes. I want a caliber that smokes the 6.5PRC so I have room to play with barrel length and not lose any overall performance compared to what I have now.
I am shooting the ELD-X 143 gr from a 20" barrel on my Gunwerks 6.5 PRC at 2942 fps. It shoots with an SD of 4.2fps and ES of 9, for 10 rounds.
I shoot it with a muzzle brake, not a suppressor.
So why not just shorten your barrel?

I am shooting the ELD-X 143 gr from a 20" barrel on my Gunwerks 6.5 PRC at 2942 fps. It shoots with an SD of 4.2fps and ES of 9, for 10 rounds.
I shoot it with a muzzle brake, not a suppressor.
So why not just shorten your barrel?
Those are better numbers than I expected. I probably would've already cut the barrel if it wasn't a carbon fiber barrel.

I appreciate the input but that combo doesn't even match the 6.5PRC speed and energy.
How you figure? 2960fps for a 143vldx out of a 24" barrel for the 6.5 PRC vs 3350fps for 150's out of a 300WSM. Pretty sure without looking it beats it in both speed and energy out the barrel. Like I said not the BC, so the 6.5 will over take it somewhere down range. To me that depends on what you need it to do.

I'm getting 3130FPS out of my 24" 6.5PRC pushing 143ELD-X:
500Y: 2400FPS/1729FTLBS.
1000Y:1759FPS/983FTLBS.

The 300WSM pushing 150SST at 3100FPS:
500Y: 2105FPS/1475FTLBS.
1000Y: 1237FPS/510FTLBS.

After 175 yards the 6.5PRC pushing the 143ELD-X at 3130FPS (my actual numbers), simply walks away from the 300WSM pushing a 150SST at 3100FPS.

How you figure? 2960fps for a 143vldx out of a 24" barrel for the 6.5 PRC vs 3350fps for 150's out of a 300WSM. Pretty sure without looking it beats it in both speed and energy out the barrel. Like I said not the BC, so the 6.5 will over take it somewhere down range. To me that depends on what you need it to do.
Give me actual speed and bullet you're using. The 6.5mm is much more efficient than the 30cal no matter what. That being said, the 30cal will have much more when you're pushing 215gr Berger's at 3000+ FPS. In my opinion there's no point in pushing a 150gr bullet out of a 300WSM. The energy retention just isn't there.

I'm getting 3130FPS out of my 24" 6.5PRC pushing 143ELD-X:
500Y: 2400FPS/1729FTLBS.
1000Y:

The 300WSM pushing 150SST at 3100FPS:
500Y: 2105FPS/1475FTLBS.
1000Y: 1237FPS/510FTLBS.

After 175 yards the 6.5PRC pushing the 143ELD-X at 3130FPS (my actual numbers), simply walks away from the 300WSM pushing a 150SST at 3100FPS.
I hear ya, but you'd have to add 170fps to the 300WSM for equal comparison. Actually, We'd also have to go heavier for caliber in the 300 which would change everything, but don't know what you want to shoot bullet weight wise. I said 150 because it's closer to the 143's. A 200 gr eldx should do the trick. Don't think your going to find what you really want, or you would have found it already, you know how to crunch the numbers. I've come to the conclusion, that shorter barrels are just slower, but game don't seem to notice the difference in a couple hundred fps loss. Good luck, hope you find what your looking for.

Give me actual speed and bullet you're using. The 6.5mm is much more efficient than the 30cal no matter what. That being said, the 30cal will have much more when you're pushing 215gr Berger's at 3000+ FPS. In my opinion there's no point in pushing a 150gr bullet out of a 300WSM. The energy retention just isn't there.
I agree, little point in pushing a 150gr bullet out of a 300wsm

curious, when you say more efficient, what do you mean?

What I mean is the higher the BC, the less drag on the bullet which translates into the bullet retaining more energy than a bullet that has a lower BC having to use energy to cut thro
yes of course, so we need a cartridge that shoots faster than a PRC with 143's and has a similar or better BC, correct? Using manufacturer published numbers, the 300WSM can do that, and so can some others. But blow it away using a shorter barrel, is another story. And at what cost? I have both a 260AI and a 300wsm and I surely enjoy shooting my 260AI more. I would think the 270wsm/6.8 western would come closer with 165-175gr but not going to be much different/better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.