no fireforming 338

blygy

I'm thinking about my next project and I've decided on a 338. Now the question is.

What is the largest cased 338 available with out fireforming.

Thanks guys

would like to try to avaoid anything to wild.. Thinking of shooting the 265gr Wildcat AT bullets.. thinking of 338-378. Ussually I do a comparison on AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"! but i let my subscription lapse..

OK.. what is the biggest 338 that will fit in a Rem 700????

If I was to go with a custom action is there a version of the 338-408 cheytac that doesn't involve fireforming???

Last edited:
OK.. what is the biggest 338 that will fit in a Rem 700????

is the a version of the 330-408 cheytac that doesn't involve fireforming???

I think fiftydriver said he got the 338 lapua to fit into the 700 box magazine but I could be wrong.
The 408 cheytac would definitely not fit into the 700! And it is what I would call pretty radical.
There is a version that doesn't involve fireforming. You can design anything you want if you are ok with designing and paying $200 for a reamer. It is a good idea to have your own reamer made even if you're not doing something radical in my opinion.

You might look real serious into a 338 edge or a 338 ultra mag. Great rounds without a lot of fuss.

the 338 edge will fit in a rem 700 it is about the same as a 338 lapua
you neck up a 300 rum to 338 we are getting a 300smk up to about 2800fps

No problem forming cases from other.. but prefer necking down or such.. but not fireforming.

We are building alot of 338 Edge AIs, which drive 300 gr SMKs at 3000 fps AND will work well in a 700 action. Case capacity has room for 115 grains of powder
As a bonus to our clients we have had hydroform dies made and will 98 to 99% preform casings for you, so all you then need to do is load and shoot them.
I hate fireforming brass too!

338 Edge

Hi just get a 338 Edge fits perfectly in a rem action just neck up 300 ultramag cases or neck down 375 ultramag cases and shoot. It is perfectly balanced with 300gr sierra's and the new 265gr alloy tipped Wildcats.

Don't go with a 378wby case they are to big. the 338 Lapua works but the edge is a better fit.

Cheers Bill
Australia

the 378 wby case is the biggest that will go into a 700 action. the edge improved would be about the same thing. i guess the 378 could be improved also but not recommended for the 700 in that version.

i'm with wild bill and using the regular 300UM case. the edge will do everything that needs to be done.

I have a 338 Laupa on a Rem 700 Action set up for a 3.9" OAL..

PARKER338LM-1.jpg

Can you explain how the hydro form dies work??

They sound like they may be what I'm after.

Thank You

Incredibly simple actually.
You prime your cases with FIRED primers, this seals the primer pocket, fill the cases with water, insert the casings into the die and put pressure on a caliber specific rod that forces the water to hydraulic the cases to the internal dimension of the dies. The rod can be hammered to generate the force to hydraulic the cases to shape, I am building a press specifically for this purpose to maintain more control on the forming.
After you empty out the water, deprime and bake the brass to get it dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts