nm cow elk success

splattermatic

i was given a private land cow elk tag by a fellow oil field landowner/worker friend.
my hunt dates were 12/06 thru 12/10, but i only needed 10 minuted on the first day.

we left from the outfitters house, drove down the road about 3 miles, went thru the locked gate onto doyles land, and went about 1/2 mile and there were 2 cow elk in the field on the right.

gary the outfitter friend of doyle, who took me out, turned his truck onto a road going to a gas well, went about 500 yards and stopped the truck. the 2 cows took off in typical head up elk trot, so i stepped out the truck using the door as a rest and when they stopped a little over 250 yards out, i let the lead cow have a 140 grain tipped barnes triple shock thru the chest.
i had a 280 ai built this year and it really like these ttsx's over 56.0 grains of imr 4350.

gary heard the hit and saw steam blow out her off side, it was 9 outside saturday morning. she started running off and gary told me to hit her again, but as i was lining up for a 2nd shot, i watched her running and steam was coming out both sides of her chest.

i didn't need to shoot again as i watched her stagger, then fall in the scope.

she weighed about 600 lbs, and was a dry ole cow.

great people, great hunt and will do it again if i can.

here's a few pics.
not real good ones, but pics anyways...
the cow and i ... i'm 6' and 240 lbs....

elkandi.jpg

my best friend helping with the skinning chores, as the twins outfitters, take a break.

georgeandelkwoutfitters.jpg

the exit hole inside

exitttsx.jpg

and outside

barnes140ttsxelkexit.jpg

the lungs, nice hole right thru....

lunghitreduced.jpg

and another of i, with a stupid smirk on my face, holding my 280 ai.

MarkElkresized.jpg

Last edited:
splattermatic,

Good going!!!

Any idea on the measurements of them holes?

Good shooting!

Mark, congratulations! Looks like the 280 turned out great. If I remember right you have a bigger gun you need to do some testing with too!

well cinch,
i traded off the 338 for a 30-06 from my best friend in the above picture, and the barrett needs to get the amax's loaded for some real serious testing, first.

and joel,
i haven't had time to finish the inletting, it's not quite a drop in, and i really don't like the palm swell...
so more sanding is in store for it..
it's a nice stock, but i should have just gone with a remmy bdl pattern, or not even done it, and bought a mcmillan.
so maybe after getting rid of the swell, cutting the forearm to proper length, making the barrel cut out match the barrel, bedding and such, it'll be a great stock.. but for now, it's sitting in the closet, a waste of money for me, and waiting for free time to get worked on...

the old fajen timberland fits me great, is stable, and looks good on it.

the holes were about the size of a golf ball...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.