Nikon Prostaff 7 vs Vortex HS-T

Browning300

Would like to hear experiences or opinions on these two scopes. Also Nikon vs Vortex who has better Glass, Warranty, Durability, Value, Reticles, ect.

Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16x42
tube 30mm
80Moa internal adjustment
ReZeroAble capped turrets
Side Focus: Yes
BDC reticle
Length 13.6"
Weight 19.4oz

Vortex HS-T 4-16x44
tube 30mm
75Moa internal adjustment
Zero-Stop uncapped turrets
Side Focus: Yes
VMR-1 reticle
Length 13.7"
Weight 20.8oz.

Would like to hear experiences or opinions on these two scopes. Also Nikon vs Vortex who has better Glass, Warranty, Durability, Value, Reticles, ect.

I don't have experience with these exact scopes, but have owned a Viper HSLR 4-16 and Monarch 3-12.
Here's my opinions to your questions:
Glass: Nikon
Warranty: Vortex is lifetime of product
Durability: Never had issues with either, so I don't know
Value: Depends on how you define it, but I feel Nikon wins this
Reticles: Hands down Vortex
Look through each option before making a decision. Only you can decide what you like/want. I personally like Nikon and just purchased their new Monarch 7.
Good luck finding the scope you like best. Enjoy the journey =)

I have both of them and I'll agree 100% with Wilkup with one other consideration and that is, the Nikon's mag ring is extremely stiff to move (on my scope)...

I agree with Wilkup too. Just a couple hours ago, I was looking thru my Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with BDC and my Vortex PST 6-24X50. The Nikon has better class.

Couple other nice things about the Nikon:
1) The parallax adjustment locks down by pushing the knob in. This nice as you can set the parallax at 100 yards and forget about it until you need it.
2) All the turrets it comes with. I use the tall turret on top and keep the short one on the windage AND they are both capped. Nice when you don't need to dial and they don't get accidentally moved.
3) I have two and they both dial accurately every time.

DBC reticle with the circles? Yes it does work well and they even have the SpotON app for your smart phone. The nice thing is each part of the circle has a corresponding yardage. Top, Center, and Bottom. Problem is there is NO WINDAGE ON THE RETICLE. So the circles can really only be used in light to no wind.

For the Nikon, just get the NikoPlex reticle and dial. If you want to do holdovers, definitely get the Vortex with MOA reticle.

First...I have owned other Nikons and like them...but I went into a Field & Stream store and compared a Prostaff 5 4.5 - 18 and a Diamondback HD 6-18. I thought the edge sharpness was slightly better in the Vortex. Ultimately with the reticle made the decision. I went with the Vortex HS-T 4-16.

First...I have owned other Nikons and like them...but I went into a Field & Stream store and compared a Prostaff 5 4.5 - 18 and a Diamondback HD 6-18. I thought the edge sharpness was slightly better in the Vortex. Ultimately with the reticle made the decision. I went with the Vortex HS-T 4-16.

Interesting observation (and something I noticed too). before I buy any scope, I trundle down to Cabelas (which is about 3 miles from here) and have a first hand look-see.

I also noticed that the edge to edge clarity on the Diamond back SF, 4-16 (1"tube) was markedly better than even the Viper PST's and wright wise is a twiggy...

Don't know whats up with that but I bought one for one of my 308's with the Dead Hold reticle. Nice scope and inexpensive, which has nothing to do with the Nikon, just your observation was the same as mine.....

The issue with a 1" rube versus 30mm is in low light conditions, the 30mm will allow mote ambient light in, providing a clearer sight picture. No biggie here.

Does the Nikon have a zero stop? To me this can be almost a deal breaker.
Now to my opinion.

Turret...From playing around in stores I think hands down the Vortex is better more crisp, more positive, and yes it has a zero stop.

Glass. Nikon has better glass. They been known for years for having quality optics at a budget price.

Reticle'- Vortex by far when you are looking at long range shooting. Only if Nikon would get read of those large circles. I think they are only good out to or around 600-700 yards for most rifles. BUT THEY DO WORK...

Price...Nikon may be a little better priced but for me I like the zero stop and the reticle of the HST.

Susgestion for Nikon....Zero stop, zero stop, stiffer springs in the turret system more positive clicks, and a real long range reticle. Then you would have an a great scope. Provided the price still came in at a good budget.

My 2 cts.

Keep in mind that on all but the Razor scopes (from Vortex) the zero stop is NOT a hard stop but rather a soft stop, set with half moon shim washers inserted under the internal turret boss.

About the best you'll get is 1/4 turn past zero, not a deal breaker for me and it's possible to shim the Nikon elevation turret with the Vortex shim washers as well. The shim washer packs are available on the Vortex website btw.

Don't expect a hard zero stop on a Vortex scope (except the Razor), 'cause it isn't happening.

There you go. Now some one with some good thinking and enginuity. Sound like a great option for the Nikon. I might just have to buy one for my 308 that's my play rifle since its not sporting any scope yet of any value. Currently running a tasco that if you move the turret man you better have another box of ammo to get it sighted back in. I removed it and only use it for a cheap spoting scope at the range and then its really just something that takes up space in my bag.

A while ago I bought a Tasco red dot for my 44 Smith. Shot it 3 times and the glass fell out.... That is quality....just say'in....:)

Ir was cheap but not workable.

I'm now going to have to see if my old zeiss conquest will be able to take shims under the cap also. They may have to be trimmed up but that would also make a zero stop for it if it works....It holds it zero really well as long as I can keep the numbers straight and get the turret back in the same place.

A while ago I bought a Tasco red dot for my 44 Smith. Shot it 3 times and the glass fell out.... That is quality....just say'in....:)

Ir was cheap but not workable.

Not saying a whole lot, I've had similar happen on $1500 + scopes! Internal lenses popping loose and had a front lense crack on the first shot after mounting a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts