Nikon P-223 3x9-40 tracking

MajorSpittle

So I got this scope on sale for a good price ($89 woot woot) and I was thinking about putting it on my 30-06 but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Specifically does it track very well. The scope has 1/4 moa turrets that are marked for multiple turns, so I was thinking about using it for long range work while I saved up for a good FFP scope.

Right now I have a 4-12 redfield revolution on my rifle for hunting but I have started reloading and would like to start doing some long distance work with my rifle and get use to doing some ballistic calculations but don't want to get frustrated with a scope that tracks so poorly that I am just wasting time and ammo.

So I am hoping for some input, I don't want to waste my time mounting it and trying to use something that will have 1/2 moa of slop every time I start making adjustments.

Thanks

I think you're going to have to prove it out yourself. Find a place that you can measure off an exact range like 100 yds. Then mount the scope on something solid and dial the turrets. You'll want to make a test target to provide measured spans to confirm reticle movement.

Yeah, I might as well make a reusable test fixture for testing scopes. To take out parallax completely i shoould probably test it at 150 yards I imagine.

Can I ask where you got that deal? I might be in the market for another cheap scope.

I have a couple Nikon's and always enjoyed the clarity of the glass for the price you pay. But we should probably expect a high end camera manufacturer to produce good glass right... I haven't used the turrets on them however so I can't comment on that.

Sounds like I am in a very similar situation as you. I also have a 30-06 and just started reloading and learning more about real long range shooting calculations, etc. I did a ton of research before I purchased a scope. I went with a SFWA fixed power scope. It's really hard to beat for under $300. In fact, I believe it might be hard to beat at twice that price. So if your Nikon doesn't track well, I would look that direction.

I don't mind it being a fixed power scope. Although sometimes it would be nice to actually zoom back and have a larger FOV.

But either way, sounds like you got a good deal on a good scope. Even if it doesn't end up being the scope you learn ballistic calculations with.

It was at a local walmart that I found it on sale by chance. They were closing out all the nikon for some reason, hopefully to bring in some redfields.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.