Nikon m223 mounted on .243...will this work

d500lnn

I just bought an inexpensive rifle in .243win to play around with and I have two scope choices to stick on it. one is a minox z5 2-10 and the other is an m-223 4-12.... Ive breezed over ballistics but not sure which 243 would fit ballistically with the m-223 turret adjustments. They say its calibrated for a 55gr projectile(very generic). I know it works well enough for consistant hits on bowling pins to 350yds with 69gr black hills ammo. My question is this....

What 243 round is close enough ballistic wise(trajectory) to use this m223 scope on this little 243? Is this a totally ridiculous idea. Take it easy I know the "die hards" don't believe in ballistic turrets or bdc reticles....just want to know what would be close enough to shoot varmints?

d500lnn

Get the Nikon Spot-On ballistic program and run your numbers. No guessing needed, and you can use 243 ammo with the M-223 scope. I just did it, and it works fine.

Nikon Spot-On Program and Tools

I should have been even more specific. The scope has a standard plex reticle. I'm more concerned about the elevation turret that indicated where to dail to hit 200, 300, 400 etc. I gues your advice still holds true...find a 243 round that matches up closely for the trajectory of the 223 in 55gr bullet.... Thanks for taking the time to respond.

OK, I get it.

Honestly, I'd put a piece of white electrical tape around the turret and make new marks to match whatever you're shooting. It will take far less time than fussing around with computing out "300 yards really equals 287 yards" and making a cheat sheet of corresponding numbers for all your ranges.

Vette, Thanks for the great try, my answer exactly until d said nikoplex reticle. What will you use the .243 for,coyote,deer,plinking,all three? I agree that going to Spot On and checking out what .243 loads are most closely related to the .223,55 gr. bullet at 3240 fps that the plex is calculated for.
I love shooting my Win. Model 70 Coyote in .243 with 55. gr projectiles, they scream out of the barrel and do great out in West Texas.

You can also just disregard the numbers completely and just treat it like a regular scope with .25 in. clicks at 100 yards. I would still put the zero at 100 yards.
I hope this info helps, the M-223 is built on the MONARCH platform and has very crisp clear glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.