"Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 - good entry level long range scope?"

We are shooting a rifle with the 4.5-14 x40 Buckmaster . We have added the monarch high replacement turrets, about $74 from amazon. They turn it into a nice 1/4 moa click-in setup. Good optics, nice crisp clicks, easy return to zero. Using some good handloads that we run through the chronograph and the $10 isnipe iPod app, we have shot out to 700 yards. My 13 y.o. Son got a nice mule deer at 454 yards last fall using this setup, shooting off a bipod. We have a local range with hanging steel plates out to 1200 yards, 700 is the longest we have tried yet. As mounted, I run out of clicks at 890 yards, trying to decide if I get a 20 moa rail and remount the scope. It has worked well for us, fun to shoot and didn't cost 2-3 x the cost of the rifle. Go with a nikoplex reticle, not the bdc and figure out how to click in to zero. I have been impressed with what it has done so far and haven't had any trouble with it holding zero. The money you save can make it easier to get some of the other long range accessories. Like a good range finder, chronograph and wind gauge. Happy shooting!

I have the 6x18-40 on my .300 wm and so far it has been a great scope for the money. I do wish I went with the 4x to get a little more MOA in the scope since the 6x is in 1/8 adjustment increments. All in all I like the scope and I had some cash left over to pit into a 20MOA base and other items.

I agree that a 20 MOA base is a good idea with these scopes because of the limited internal adjustment.

I would also recommend the Mil-Dot reticle over the BDC reticle. I have the Mil-Dot in my 6-18 and the BDC in my 4.5-14. I much prefer the Mil-Dot.

The Buckmasters are good entry level scopes. The Monarchs are a step up from there in quality, but I don't believe they offer any significant advantage in terms of available adjustment range.

I consider the Nikons to be good 600 yard scopes. If you really plan to shoot to 1000 yards and beyond, I believe SWFA is a good place to start.

We have had impressive results with two 3-9 Buckmasters on .338 WM rifles I have helped setup, for the cost ($180 on sale locally) they track up and down very well. We have not shot either of them far enough to run out of dope yet, I hadn't even thought of that yet, but as mounted on the rifle they are dead nuts 600 yard elk scopes, and I would put one on any of my rifles in a heartbeat.

And this is coming from a diehard Leupold fan and somebody that thinks you should spend more on the glass than the gun!

I have three, one plex, two mildot. I really like them. They group good, adjust properly, and return to zero every time. For the money, they are very hard to beat. I agree on the 4.5 over the 6, the 1/4" turrets are better. I got lucky with my long range rifle, it has 2/3 of the adjustment when it is zeroed at 100yds. I only need 21 moa to 1000. I have about 30 available. Good quality scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.