Nikkon Monach 1200 VS Leica 1200 range finder

nond4v8

Looking to get a new rangefinder that will range a long way. Which one is best. I want a range finder that will range 1000+ yards in any situation. gun)

Looking to get a new rangefinder that will range a long way. Which one is best. I want a range finder that will range 1000+ yards in any situation. gun)

1000 yards in any situation!! I doubt that there is anything in the Nikon/Leica 1200 price range that will meet that criteria.

You'll have better though not perfect success with either a Svaro or the New Leica or is it Ziess 1600 (can't recall for sure but it's next on my list to upgrade from the Leica 1200)

Be aware of the various beam sizes as beam size affects accuracy.

Cover Dog,

Good find!

I have the Leica 1200 Scan. I know that the beam divergence is 0.5 millirad and spent much time during a hunt several years ago determining where the beam was hitting with respect to the sighting square.

I determined that the center line of the beam was a little above the bottom line of the sighting square.

The beam didn't seem to be any wider than the sighting square.

Once this was determined, I practiced ranging into the trees and ranging the sighting squares adjacent to the original sighting square.

When held steady as much as 140 yards was ranged back into the trees where the beam would fit.

The adjacent square test were revealing also.

It really got my goat the other day when I couldn't range on my vehicle at 700 yds. However I could range the piece of sage brush adjacent to it.

But on the other hand, I could pick my 1.5'x2' target on a sage brush flat @ 705 yards. I don't think it would have been possible if I didn't know how the LRF was sighted or if the beam were larger.

There are times when the Leica will range well beyond 1200 but its never when I really need to.

Usually when lighting it typical 1214 yds is as far as it will go.

I can now out shoot the Leica's ability to range. Thus I'm in the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.