Nightforce Rifle Scopes?

I know a few guys that say their Night Force scopes are SO much better for targets at 1000 yards.
But every time I pick up a Night Force scope I am shocked at how heavy they are.

I can hit deer all day long at 500 yards with an 8 ounce $220 Leupold VX 1 on 2 power with an elevation turret. I don't need to turn it up to 7 power, I am not shooting gophers.

I am sure that NF are great for shooting from the truck, but to pack around, that would be dumb in my book.

I know a few guys that say their Night Force scopes are SO much better for targets at 1000 yards.
But every time I pick up a Night Force scope I am shocked at how heavy they are.

I can hit deer all day long at 500 yards with an 8 ounce $220 Leupold VX 1 on 2 power with an elevation turret. I don't need to turn it up to 7 power, I am not shooting gophers.

I am sure that NF are great for shooting from the truck, but to pack around, that would be dumb in my book.

It would probably be too hefty for a sporter rifle IMO. I wanted a rig that could shoot out to 1000 max and do so repeatably. My entire rig is 13lbs 13oz unloaded. While it is a good bit heavier than my .243 or my 30-06 sporter rifles, the match barrel added the majority of the weight. If I want a brush gun, then I will take my ole trusty '06 with my piece of junk scope, it has killed white tail and black bear. But if I want to squeeze off a shot in a pre-scouted area that I know the distance is beyond 200yds, then I will take ole fatty with me and do the job right.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.