Nightforce Rifle Scopes?

kc

My Brother has a .300 Magnum and wants to change scopes up a few notches, He has the money to buy a Nightforce.There is one question I have no answer for is what Retical should he order, its not for punching paper only, he has a field in Michigan's UP where he can shoot 450 and 500 yards Max...I like the NPR2/ and the MLR. Guys, I am open for all opinions.
He has a M40A5 in Remington and shoots .75@250 all day.(with the best hand loads and a cold barrel) The Rifle was built by Williams Gun Sight in Davison Michigan.

Either the NPR2 or the NPR1 are great hunting/target reticles!!

NightForce, in my opinion is the best scope for the money!!

In my opinion the Nightforce is the best scope buy for your money. But I have not seen all the scopes out there. I did however do a lot research and what I found was that it had most of the features of the more costly scopes and was well received by the military as well as hunters. I, like many people who have taken the time to write here, like the NP-R2 recticle. And Like many people all over America am more familar with that system. What I do know from the experts is that both system (M.O.A. & Mil dot) work well if you take the time to learn them.
Izzy

I have the NP-R2 and love it. I personally find the NP-R1 to be too busy. That's just my .02 tho .

I agree. Nightforce is a great scope, just too heavy for me to use hunting. If he wants NF though, that is reticle he should get.

I think Leupy is lighter and a little more durable. That is just my experience. I have Mk4s for my long range hunters.

That or a Swarovski which will have better glass. If you are shooting only 500 yards, I would go with less magnification, you don't need the 20x+ IMO. That will save you $ and weight.

We built a 260 last year with a Pacnor Barrel it was handed over to Williams and Rod did his Majic they stuck a Loupold 3x9x40 and is a real good Deer killer.
He started this project before Deer season so he could make all his runs to Texas in the winter.
Truck Driver...He bought a M40A5 stock from Mc Millen(cammo) he bought another Pacnor and had the bolt holes drilled out for larger screws. He has no problem with the order, he just wants the skinnie of opinions from you guys. I warned him of the price of this project he thinks it will be around 5Grand. OK. He found a bunch of good old boys in Sweet Water TX and is kinda liking the area for shooting.

I just want you to know that I realy apreciate your input. Thank You.
KC

I'm new here, found the site because I am setting up my first long range rifle. I'm on the NF bandwagon. A little more weight for what I see as benefits is a fair tradeoff.
I'm looking at the LV.5 and it's variant to be offered by G7.
LV.5 is offered in various reticles depending on your ballistics on the F1 3.5-15 x 50. NF has a calculator on their site to select the correct reticle. I understand these are being shipped (talked with NF) and Eurooptics says they are in stock. Reticle Here from NF Website. <-- Click
The G7 intrigues me as it has a similar reticle to be used, <500 yards, and then >500 yards, either charts one can print up off their site, or a fancy rangefinder that is supposed to be released by G7 sometime later this year. The G7 is SFP and is 5.5-22x50. In Development from G7 Website. <-- Click
All the above was found on their websites and confirmed with phone calls.
Either scope should be good to go for short range quick shots and ranging/slope/atmospheric corrections should always be made for long range shooting.

It is my understanding that Nightforce will be offering the Velocity reticle this summer sometime in some of their more powerful scopes.. Looks like a good hunting one with some heavier lines to see in the busy brush or background..

HI, GUYS..
I'm also looking for a NF, but I' m wondering if the benchrest scopes that offer np-r2 are as good as the nxs? with the same reticle?

besides having twice the clicks (1/8moa Vs. 1/4 moa) and costing almost 500 bucks less, is there any drawback from the BR nightforces?

I'm more of a hunter than a shooter, but love shooting long...

Joe from Old mexico

The NF BR scopes are as named there benchrest line of optic. The main difference is that they are not built to endure the damage and abuse that the NXS line is built to handle, because frankly if you abuse your scope that much in benchrest shooting your doing it wrong lol

The NXS scopes are built to withstand pretty massive amounts of abuse and never shift POI and keep functioning properly no matter what. I have no doubt the BR scopes would stand up to the amount of abuse that most any hunter would put them through but the NXS is the scope that is designed to never fail no matter what. ALso with the new zero stop feature and high speed turrets as well as the wider array of reticles the NXS lends itself better to hunting usage IMOP

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts